What's new

New a fast router with multiple subnets support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlefSin

New Around Here
Hi,

A problem that I have at my home is that my current router puts all LAN and Wireless devices on the same subnet. I need to separate them but I couldn't find a fast wireless router with a reasonable price to do so.

Bascially, I need:

Gigabit ethernet (4~8 ports)
Good wireless N support
Supporting at least two subnets (LAN and WLAN)

The closest thing I could find was CISCO WRVS4400N but from the review of its close brother, RVS4000, and the charts it is clear that this going to be a very slow (LAN <-> WAN) router and does not support many simultanous connections.

Thanks a lot,
AlefSin

I'm told that the RVS4000 problem with unbalanced up and down throughput has been fixed in current firmware. I have not confirmed this, however.

Some routers separate WLAN and LAN traffic via VLANS without putting them on separate subnets. This is sometimes called "wireless privacy". Others, like the NETGEAR WNDR3700 provide a Guest function that provides Internet access only, but no wired LAN access.