What's new

New AC68U another CFE version EU, Merlin Compatibility..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hitman

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Just got a BN Asus RT-AC68U, obviously I was keen to see what the CFE was and it's version 1.0.2.0, presume the EU version (only seen US at this level version), great.

However when loading on the latest Merlin firmware, I see that merlin reports the cfe version is incompatible and not overclockable, however with telnet it overclocks CPU/Mem fine.

Is merlin aware of this CFE EU version and adding compatibility for it?

I also ask (merlin) if it could be possible to add a memory freq value into the GUI\system info page as currently only CPU freq is shown?

Thanks and regards.

Hi, you can always overclock it via telnet/ssh:

nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit
reboot

Yes it only show on GUI CPU frequency, i also would be glad to see mem clock on it, it's a simple line on the code.

If possible please dump and upload your CFE to tinyupload.com to add to collection:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=17793

Thank you

Last edited:
Yeah, I've already tested it via telnet and sticks after boot.

I will upload the CFE but can it be done by saving it on the router (no USB stick), then ssh to copy to PC?

Just need the commands to do this?

Thanks.

After connecting your USB drive use 'df' command to see where its mounted, then:

cat /dev/mtd0 > /pathtoyourusbdrivemountpoint/cfe.bin

Thanks

After connecting your USB drive use 'df' command to see where its mounted, then:

cat /dev/mtd0 > /pathtoyourusbdrivemountpoint/cfe.bin

Thanks

I don't have a handy USB to use, but I've dumped it on the router and now have a copy.

I'll PM you as I would need you to remove mac details/serial etc.. if that's ok, and send it to your email?

Thanks.

Sure, after editing it please upload it to tinyupload.com and send me the link via PM.

Please do not with a text editor but with a hexeditor (HXD), so you don't screw it.

Double check it on editing.

Thanks

Pay close attention to the actual message that is shown. It's the Turbo Mode that's incompatible (aka overclocking through the button at the back), not overclocking in general. This is because Asus simply removed the Turbo Mode support in newer bootloaders, this has nothing to do with the firmware itself.

I don't want to add the memory clock because there's no way to retrieve the active memory clock - all I can read is the value the firmware is TRYING to apply. This is already a problem with the CPU clock as it doesn't always match what's really used by the firmware, and is something I'm still trying to find an accurate way to report the actual clock speed rather than just an nvram value that might not even be applied.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!