What's new

New Atheros-based Units from Netgear & WD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mediatrek

Regular Contributor
I'm curious if anyone here has used either of the new N600 or N750 Western Digital routers? They use Atheros AR9344 (MIPS 74K core 600 MHz) & AR9380 chips, which the upcoming WNDR3700v4 (N600) & WNDR4300 (N750) from Netgear use. I am curious as to your thoughts on these WD routers with these chips in them. I have come across very few reviews on either for them and am torn between going for the N750 or wait for Netgear’s units based on the same Atheros chips. Right now I’m using a WNDR3800 now w/ the old Atheros chips in it.

I'm curious if anyone here has used either of the new N600 or N750 Western Digital routers? They use Atheros AR9344 (MIPS 74K core 600 MHz) & AR9380 chips, which the upcoming WNDR3700v4 (N600) & WNDR4300 (N750) from Netgear use. I am curious as to your thoughts on these WD routers with these chips in them. I have come across very few reviews on either for them and am torn between going for the N750 or wait for Netgear’s units based on the same Atheros chips. Right now I’m using a WNDR3800 now w/ the old Atheros chips in it.

Where did you read the WDC routers use Atheros 93xx chips? The WDC 600Mb/s model has 10/100 switch ports. Yuck!

I did read about the supposed Netgear 3700V4 and the 4300 model using Atheros. Obviously speculation at this point, but seems promising.

Where did you read the WDC routers use Atheros 93xx chips? The WDC 600Mb/s model has 10/100 switch ports. Yuck!

I did read about the supposed Netgear 3700V4 and the 4300 model using Atheros. Obviously speculation at this point, but seems promising.

Last Friday I looked at the FCC e-filings and from looking at the pictures, I do think I got the WNDR4300 & WNDR3700v4 are using the Atheros AR9344 & AR9380.

I agree on the WD N600 about only 10/100. I would not get that model due to lack of 10/100/1000 ports. As for the chips they use, I found it mentioned here and here for the N750.

I may be in the minority in not rating 1000BT as important in a WiFi router.

As a consumer, I doubt I'll see a day when I can get or affort better than 100BT net yield from my ISP.

And I wouldn't want or need to push hundreds of Mbps on WiFi within my LAN. I do have that among PCs conected by gigabit Wired LAN switches, irrespective of the home router.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!