What's new

New Chips in the 2014

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mediatrek

Regular Contributor
With CES 2014 around the corner, what do you expect to see?

Today Qualcomm announced their new IPQ line of “Internet” processors that has a blend of a 730Mhz dual-core Atheros network processor and Snapdragon Krait dual-core 1.4GHz control processor.

You can read more about the line here:
http://www.qualcomm.com/media/releases/2013/11/20/qualcomm-brings-leading-mobile-dna-internet-processors-enable-advanced

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/11/qualcomm-launches-internet-processor-with-snapdragon-dna/

Then originally announced in May 2013, the Quantenna QSR1000 Wave 2 chip was recently awarded as a CES 2014 Innovation Design & Engineering Honoree. The industry first QSR1000 4x4 MU-MIMO 802.11ac chipset also shows off what is coming in 2014.

What are you looking forward to in networking in 2014?

Attachments

• qualcommIPQ.jpg
    qualcommIPQ.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 371
I am not looking forward to 4x4 AC products, because they will cause some of you (and you know who you are) to jump to yet another flavor of not-ready-for-prime-time 802.11ac. And if they support 160 MHz bandwidth, they will eat up all eight 5 GHz channels that are supported in consumer Wi-Fi products.

You may hope to find better performance. But I fear we will find yet another beta test (this time for MU-MIMO). And prepare to buy two of 'em (4x4 routers, that is). Cause there ain't gonna be no client devices to mate with them.

You keep buying this immature stuff and they'll keep selling it...

Very well said Tim.

I am not looking forward to 4x4 AC products, because they will cause some of you (and you know who you are) to jump to yet another flavor of not-ready-for-prime-time 802.11ac. And if they support 160 MHz bandwidth, they will eat up all eight 5 GHz channels that are supported in consumer Wi-Fi products.

You may hope to find better performance. But I fear we will find yet another beta test (this time for MU-MIMO). And prepare to buy two of 'em (4x4 routers, that is). Cause there ain't gonna be no client devices to mate with them.

Isn't that the case for the majority of home consumer electronics these days? Look at the two gaming console being launched this month. I've read a lot of "this will be added with a future firmware update" mentions for both of them. One of them ships without MP3 and DLNA support, the other ships without Blu-Ray playback or something equally silly for something supposed to be an entertainment hub.

The Internet brought us the "Ship now, finish it later" mentality unfortunately.

Isn't that the case for the majority of home consumer electronics these days? Look at the two gaming console being launched this month. I've read a lot of "this will be added with a future firmware update" mentions for both of them. One of them ships without MP3 and DLNA support, the other ships without Blu-Ray playback or something equally silly for something supposed to be an entertainment hub.

The Internet brought us the "Ship now, finish it later" mentality unfortunately.
Perhaps it is .. Oh oh,market saturated with 802.11now, revenue declining... Hurry up with 802.11next!!!

I think this is not the case to blame Internet, the one how started the game is the big MS with all infamos version of ME long time ago, they like to do what Fashions is doing and the marketing rule over us.
No more stres test for product , beta testing and staff like this just push out of the dor and then the "we will fix it" :(
:cool:

No more stres test for product , beta testing and staff like this just push out of the dor and then the "we will fix it" :(
:cool:

That's what I meant by blaming the Internet. They expect to be able to push updates to their customers over the Internet, so they aren't worried any more about shipping a defective product. See how products like Windows 8 or the PS4 are shipping with a so-called "day 0 patch" available for download. It was even made clear that the PS4 wouldn't be able to play any game until you downloaded and installed that day 0 patch.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!