What's new

NEW D-Link DIR-665 the 5Ghz is DOA!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deeptouch

New Around Here
3x3 MIMO technology up to 450Mbps & Centrino optimized called my name! First understand this is NOT concurrent dual band. It is 2.4 OR 5Ghz, which threw me at first. Then after set up for 'N' only in 2.4 with auto channel scan, I installed inSSIDer app to check out 'competition' in the neighborhood and then also test the 5.2Ghz signal. -24db for 2.4Ghz is the strongest and steadiest signal I have ever recorded! This bears out with slick & steady streaming video of feature length films from the internet without a hiccup still using linksys wusb600n adapter to XP desktop two rooms away (including the kitchen). Switching back to my linksys wrt600n router confirmed this with signal strength down to -36db from 2.4 and -42db from 5.2Ghz. Unfortunately inSSIDer also confirmed after I switched to 5.2Ghz to test the DIR-665 that it continued to broadcast at 2.4Ghz only even though the activity light 'confirmed' it should have sent a 5.2 signal. A shame for a unit they clearly tout for 5.2Ghz preference. Never fear will see if D-link phone support is up to the challenge, then update this post!

It offers Marvell 88W8366/88W8063 3x3 chipset, which supports multi-stream 802.11n technology for increased data throughput. The DIR-665 incorporates the Marvell Total Solution featuring the 88F6281 CPU, running at 1 GHz, 88E6171R Gigabit Ethernet switch and power management ports in-addition to the industry's first 3x3 chipset.

Interesting now we have finally 1GHz WNPU in the players court. This will make Atheros come out with something better than 680MHz WNPU they're been pushing customers to buy.
I am not a fan of Marvell's 3x3 solution technology prior versions don't seem to live up so well. Just have to see how it goes.
No specs yet on the dBm not like the DAP 2xxx series it states this info for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. If I see this router today I might buy to see how it goes?

If the OP has mix results I'll wait for SNB reports?

Last edited:
East Coast not available. Unless someone here from NYC can chime in to say otherwise? All I can find was the DIR-825 I had $10 off coupon for Office Depot. There is also $5 off coupon from Staples both can be used this weekend.

Here's the PDF spec sheet
ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DIR-665/DIR-665_ds.pdf

Last edited:
Last edited:
The DIR-665 5Gh is now Alive & Very Well!!

First let me update that TS for dlink couldn't help & suggested I return to exchange at(yes) Fry's Electronics, Concord, CA. After the support call & a reset I solved this was strictly a settings issue in 'set-up' /wireless settings. If you use their set-up disc (which works fine & very quickly) just select 5Gh band when prompted and leave the settings for 802.11 Mode (Mixed 802.11a, 802.11n) and WPA Mode (AUTO WPA or WPA2) If you try to narrow wireless settings down to 802.11n only and WPA2/AES only it will not broadcast at 5Gh at all. Maybe I should call tech support back and give them the solution before all the new inventory in stock has been exchanged X?? and nothing is wrong. If anything they should update firmware to prevent a 'save' after changing from 2.4gh to 5gh with those settings and fix the 'wandering' clock in the device that won't stay in th epacific time zone! And yes, I do have an intel 5100 wi-fi link agn that supports 5gh...now I want to upgrade the wireless adapter to the 5300 version, which increases the TR from 300Mh to 450Mh to better match the new router! I'd be glad to know if that would be a waste of time, as the part is only @ $40. And yes it does support internet d/l HD movies so very well, you'd swear I'm 'wired' !Thx

And yes, I do have an intel 5100 wi-fi link agn that supports 5gh...now I want to upgrade the wireless adapter to the 5300 version, which increases the TR from 300Mh to 450Mh to better match the new router! I'd be glad to know if that would be a waste of time, as the part is only @ $40.
Upgrading will not help you reach 450 Mbps link rate unless you have a third antenna.

If you try to narrow wireless settings down to 802.11n only and WPA2/AES only it will not broadcast at 5Gh at all. Maybe I should call tech support back and give them the solution before all the new inventory in stock has been exchanged X?? and nothing is wrong.

UGH.... this was kicking my tail for.... oh about a month or so. DO NOT SET TO 802.11N ONLY - this will result in transmission only in the 2.4 range no matter what the radio button is set to.

Thank you Deep you could not have been more correct. This is strange on D-Links part for sure. I was upgrading from a 628 and could not figure out why I was getting no 5ghz!

I hope this saves someone else hours of frustration!

Some good quality products (that excludes D-Link) advertise simultaneous dual band 11g/n and don't deceive customers. Choosing 11g/n mode should be per band if the product has truth in advertising and specs.

Of course, your laptop (etc) must have a dual-band 11g/n in both bands capability.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!