What's new

New E3200 slower than old E1500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jubbs

New Around Here
HI have a 50 Mbps connection from Comcast and while using my E1200 on ddwrt (g only) I go about 40ish Mbps and it was fine. The problem was that when multiple were on the connection the quality would drop even though the bandwith shouldn't be stressing. I decided to buy a E3200 to fix this because I heard it was just only lacking some E4200 features and I can live with it.

No matter what i try setting on my E3200, I am not able to get past 13 Mbps. I have tried N-only, G-only, Mixed / 1500 MTU, 1400 MTU (advised on Cisco forum)/ Auto Channel, channel 1, channel 3, 6, etc. I also updated it to he latest firmware 1.0.04.

Honestly my E1200 was less of a pain than this thing is. Can someone help me out? I was hoping to not have to put DDWRT on this and it looks like some people have problems with it and it doesn't support 5GHZ yet, I was looking at Tomato by shibby, but same story I just don't really want to put an aftermarket firmware on this if it is supposed to be a powerful router.

Thanks for any help

DD-WRT is managment code.
The speed and throughout is governed by the vendor's MAC firmware, and constrained by both the client devices and the IEEE 802.11 standards.

Of course, a 50Mbps down ISP service, on WiFi, is time-shared among WiFi users, and 802.11g and 802.11n won't go that fast. Want 50Mbps? Use Ethernet.

How are you measuring 13Mbps?

speedtest.net, and sorry it should be Mb/s.

Either way their is an obvious difference in speed. My fastest download was under 1 MB/s when typically I can get up to 3 MB/s. I played a game and not only did I get a litttle lag, but I got lag spikes every other second and eventually the network got down.