What's new

New house project

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crenelle

New Around Here
I've decided to route CATn in the crawlspace under the house to low voltage outlet panels I'm going to install one of in each room. I have several wireless routers now, but each one is capable of blasting wireless through the outside walls and a hundred feet beyond, and they all look like Cisco bargain-basement industrial design. I want to take a different approach.

I want to plug one small, low cost, limited range but g/n router in each room. I don't want the signal to penetrate the walls, I want to keep the signal strength down. I don't need each unit to support more than five wireless connections at a time. (If there's going to be a printer parked in a room, it'll be able to get a wire.) The wireless is intended to be used for mobile and portable devices. The maximum distance between each wireless access point and a laptop computer or a smart phone is going to be 15 feet, with no intervening wall.

When I move from one room to the next, I want the network to figure out what's going on and switch me to another access point.

So, high speed, low range, minimum signal strength. Very low cost, say less than $20 each, or possibly less than $10. Small form factor, say a cube less than 2" on a side, including integrated plug. No point to having an external antenna. What's out there today that looks like that?

Most of the wireless g/n installs I've seen in urban settings basically try to duel with everyone else's wireless g/n signals on the block. People buy the biggest wireless router they can find, plug it in, find a channel people are already using, and park it there. They like to use their wireless network with their phone from a neighbor's house five doors down.

There is nothing that meets your description, especially not for under $20. Was just trying to give you some alternatives in a small form factor.

Most of the wireless g/n installs I've seen in urban settings basically try to duel with everyone else's wireless g/n signals on the block. People buy the biggest wireless router they can find, plug it in, find a channel people are already using, and park it there. They like to use their wireless network with their phone from a neighbor's house five doors down.

Yes, and a booming transmitted signal from the WiFi router does not at all deal with a weak signal FROM the laptop. That's the constraint. People think of WiFi routers as broadcast, like a radio station. Not so, of course.

A good gain antenna on the WiFi router can help, say, 9dBi or more, as that benefits received and transmitted signals.

For over 1800 sq. ft. or so, 1-2 added access points (not routers) will do the job. New house should get cat5 to every room. Some can have access points. Any cheap consumer router can be faked as an access point.