What's new

New Member / new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blulazries

New Around Here
Greetings all please bare with me as I explain. I just recently purchased the Asus RT-N66U as a replacement for a 10 year old Buffalo Router that I use to connect to a local Hot Spot here in the city.

http://reviews.cnet.com/adapters-nics/buffalo-airstation-wli2-usb2/4505-3380_7-30964365.html

My Dell 5150 / E 510 does NOT have wireless built in but it does have an RJ-45 connection on the back that goes to what is called a Intel PRO/100 VE network connection. Any and all configurations to get the ASUS running are in vain. It seems with just the one RJ 45 connection setup picks up on the fact that only one connection is being made and the second is missing. It seems I am doing something wrong. Does the Asus actually work as my old Buffalo and allow me to connect to this Hot Spot ? Do I need to purchase a network adapter of some sort ? Can anyone walk me thru this ? TY

If I understand you.. you had/have a Buffalo brand product that connects to the ethernet RJ45 port of your PC. The Buffalo product had an antenna to connect wirelessly to some WiFi system that you don't own/operate but can get service from.

If so, then the Buffalo product was/is a WiFi bridge. Or a WiFi Router that can be configured to be a (client) bridge.

A WiFi router in router mode is a WiFi Access Point (AP) + a router, all-in-one. An AP cannot be a bridge.

Some WiFi routers have a bridge mode. Few do.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!