What's new

New R7000 purchase experience

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

overdrive31

Never really used WPS in the past, but taking advantage of it with the R7000 has been more trouble than what it's worth. I hope it is just a firmware bug, but I will have to test it with other hardware to see. Each time I use the push button WPS, my DD-WRT client bridge's break and need a reboot...why? lol

I expected a router that supports IPv6 as well as an VPN server, to allow you to take advantage of both features. As it turns out, I must choose one or the other. Disappointing, and the DD-WRT builds don't seem to provide both features either. Any device behind my client bridge's also will not receive an IPv6 address. Research has found that an IPv6 address will only pass using a WDS implementation.

I wonder, if an DD-WRT WDS bridge could also host an OpenVPN server to cover the needs of IPv6 and a VPN server. Can the ASUS RT-AC68U support both IPv6 and the OpenVPN server simultaneously using any of it's available firmwares?

Last edited:
Hi,
Better raise this issues at dd-wrt forum. Kong is there almost every day. What version dd-wrt are you on? Latest is dated Jan. 15 this year.

The stock firmware OpenVPN server seems to be very limited in terms of support. I had plans to utilize the VPN for wifi security for all mobile devices. My hopes were for iPhone support, and unfortunately the server only uses TAP, while the iPhone can only officially support TUN. I have jailbroken and installed a TAP compatible client using GuizmoVPN, but configuration isn't particularly straight forward. I cannot get the tunnel to function despite numerous debugging attempts. I have a feeling I must adjust server configuration details and the GUI doesn't allow too much in terms of configuration. Looks as though I will have to telnet into the router for access to the server config. Any insight into such would be much appreciated, or should I just give up the ghost and go DD-WRT...

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!