What's new

New router, 15 meters and 4 walls..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bimbobo

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I need to change my ISP and have to buy a new router.
Right now I use a NetGear Cabelmodem CVG824G, with a 7dbi external antenna, and the range is pretty good.

I have 15 meters and 4 walls in the house between the NetGear and 1 laptop.
The other desktop is wired.

I have full speed 20/2 mbit using wifi and no issue on LAN. Uptime is excellent no drops of any kind. :p

I would like to buy another router because I will have fiber in 2 weeks.

I need the best router for stability and range.. never mind of Dual Band, no special need for streaming, but if USB port is available in the router, I would like that of course.

I read this forum every day, so the comparison charts, but I am in doubt.

NetGear WNDR 3700 or A D-Link seems the best..
But.. I am not sure about hidden antennas in the NetGear, as I have very good experience with Linksys and Netgear when I replaced the "original antennas" with 7dbi ones and have excellent results.

Now I need "people help" to find the best solution..

Regards

2nd Level IT Supporter
Skype NDA Betatester

Last edited:
The internal antenna design in the WNDR3700 is very good. Its based on a design they OEM'd from Rayspan.

Proper placement and orientation is critical. The WNDR3700 prefers to be mounted vertically and I've found that adjusting the orientation can make a big difference.

In my experience external antennas on wifi routers is a mixed bag. The troubles are complicated, but the end result is often little to no gain at all. I've also had less luck improving signal with addon antennas on 802.11n routers. The problems only get worse for dual band routers.

I would recommend you try the WNDR3700 or WNDR37AV. If you opt for the WNDR3700 get one in the new style retail box so you get the 01R21 revision or newer. Its stamped on the model/serial label. I believe all WNDR37AV will be newer style hardware revision.

Hi,
I need to change my ISP and have to buy a new router.
Right now I use a NetGear Cabelmodem CVG824G, with a 7dbi external antenna, and the range is pretty good.

I have 15 meters and 4 walls in the house between the NetGear and 1 laptop.
The other desktop is wired.

I have full speed 20/2 mbit using wifi and no issue on LAN. Uptime is excellent no drops of any kind. :p

I would like to buy another router because I will have fiber in 2 weeks.

I need the best router for stability and range.. never mind of Dual Band, no special need for streaming, but if USB port is available in the router, I would like that of course.

I read this forum every day, so the comparison charts, but I am in doubt.

NetGear WNDR 3700 or A D-Link seems the best..
But.. I am not sure about hidden antennas in the NetGear, as I have very good experience with Linksys and Netgear when I replaced the "original antennas" with 7dbi ones and have excellent results.

Now I need "people help" to find the best solution..

Regards

2nd Level IT Supporter
Skype NDA Betatester
Range is as much about the client device as it is about the WiFi router or access point.

I'd get an access point or client bridge with a good antenna, and begin with a good arrangement on the client end. On the router end, avoid 11n, avoid 5.8GHz, and consider using an access point connected to a decent wired or WiFi router rather than an all in one WiFi router.
Four walls, if drywall (wallboard), is not an issue at all. Drywall is fairly low attenuation as compared to masonry, stucco, or plywood (floors).

But re Fiber to the home, or FIOS: why pay $$$ for this then constrain it with WiFi, if you want the speed you are paying for!

Thanks for the answers..
@stevech... because fiber here in Denmark are cheaper than the cable I have now I get 30/30 for 40$ and the one I have now 20/2 with cable at 45$.. so there is no comparison. :)

@claykin.. I am strongly considering the WNDR3700, but about the version..it's a problem when buying on the internet. I will see if I can manage to hit the right one :)

Regards

... 15 meters, 4 walls, I have 4 out of 5 bars, and have an excellent speed .. (consider I have fibre now 30/30 mbit, but it's actually 34.7/34 testing with speednet test). The laptop reaches very good speed above 25 at least.

So this router is very good for signal strenght and stability, when you learn how to set it up correctly.

I use the Acer built-in card Atheros AR5B93 and last driver..

Regards

this is what I get now..
I moved the router 30cm from the previos spot, moved the wireless Siemens telephone in to the right of the router, so now is no longer in "between" laptop and router.
It's on on the desktop in the room, so no higher shelf or elevated position.

This is what speedtest net reported... I pay for 30/30 mbit..

:):):)

On the wired download is the same and upload 1mbit higher.
Impressing!!!!!!!!!!

I measured.. I have exactly 13 meters and 4 walls, not 15 meters...

Regards

Last edited: