What's new

New router for fiber

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slim shady

Occasional Visitor
hi guys im upgrading to fiber @100 down

i need a new router for my home, coverage area is 1200 sqft.

Requirements:

vpn on router (i have mullvad)
should be able to stream hd content smoothly from hdd connected to the router.
multiple devices should work seemlessly.
ddwrt support.
if possible would like to download stuff directly torrent to hdd connected to router.

now i need stable release routers for both ddwrt and stock firmware or something with least amount of bugs.

budget is 200 dollars.

no of devices would be 8 -10

right now looking over r7800 and linksys wrt1900

Last edited:
I would buy a EdgeRouter X and a good AP if i where you.

Oki well the i would go for the R7800 sence you can have alternative FW on that one.

the r7800 has by far the fastest CPU so that will help if your VPN is using Open SSL encryption.

I believe the stock firmware supports a download offloader as well.

sry for late query but it turns out the isp has rj11 the phone line connector for providing net conncetion so what dsl modem should i use to connect with the r7800 and and how do i configure it in bridge mode. a step by step or guide woukd be very helpful as i have no idea how to do that.

Last edited:
Check for supported models with your ISP (ask for devices with bridge mode too). Manufacturers with good reputations for DSL modems on here are Draytek, Zyxel and Sagemcom.

You can check for bridge mode by downloading and checking the manual.

Last edited:
hi guys im upgrading to fiber @100 down

i need a new router for my home, coverage area is 1200 sqft.
Why not go for a fiber enable router like the newly upcoming Turris MOX? With 1-2 additional MOX Access Point you can easily cover your home. :cool:

again sry for the delayed update, holy crap i got proper fiber in my appartment so hurray.I got the r7800 and its awesome.Thank for the help and advice guys.

edit : okay i have found the repository for r7800 how do use it

first flash factory to ddwrt then do i flash the ddwrt webupgrade bin file for the latest version of ddwrt.

and can anyone give me latest ddwrt to factory file too ?

Last edited: