What's new

New stable dual-band router advice (2.4Ghz overcrowded)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loves_ramen

New Around Here
I have a relatively low budget < $100. Would really prefer something in the 50-80$ range.

Range is not a big reason (tiny apartment, all devices mainly just in living room with the router).
The only criteria is stability & to a degree sustained throughput ( 105mbps comcast connection).

I thought of tp-link archer C7 or tp-link WDR4300 (but may or may not play nice with a mbp & iphone and an old dell which has a broadcom wireless as well?) , netgear WNDR4300 and asus 56u.

But seeing that all I really need is a wireless N router (no G devices and I dont care about AC) in 5Ghz mode (there are about 30 wifi ssids I've seen in 2.4ghz and 0 in 5Ghz) , and all I really care about is stability with support for my fastish internet (?) ,
please recommend me a good router for my range.

Edit PS: also have a single band chromecast , but rest of my devices pretty much support 5ghz

Last edited:
Apple Airport Express. You pay $20 more for the name though but reviews are saying that it's very stable.

At that price point, it seems tough to find both signal strength and stability with 5Ghz. If you're comfortable with trial+error'ing TP-Link/Netgear stuff, go for it. Else, I'd second the Apple AE - even though I don't run any of their gear personally, whenever I've have to deal with them at client locations, they've always appeared stable (about a half-dozen experiences to go off of there...).

The TP-Link WDR4300 and WDR3600 (I have the later) WILL play nicely with Apple stuff. I currently have one WDR3600 running as an AP and I had one as a router as well for a couple of months and all of my apple devices were rock solid with it and the routers were also rock solid.

I also recommend TP-Link. All the routers I had from this brand, were extremely solid thus far.