What's new

New user? More like a lost soul in search of guidance.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarcoPollo

New Around Here
Hello,

Introduction:
My humble apologies for my limited knowledge and experience. I am having some trouble with spam ads that my elderly mother is getting on her iPhone. Her memory is fading and she finds comfort in playing minigames on her phone. However those ads absolutely contain scams and trick her more often than not and I don't have the heart to take the phone away from her. I've tried changing the DNS on the router to ones that say they offer adblocking but she still gets those ads. About 7 years ago I tried getting her to use an Android which I figured out how to get to block ads with but she became really really frustrated with it (I think with her memory problems she just couldn't get used to the new interface).

I just wanna keep my mom safe and happy through her remaining years.

Understanding:
If I am understanding correctly Asuswrt-Merlin provides firmware that can be flashed onto certain Asus routers that can add an extra layer of ad-blocking security. This may be my last remaining option. I welcome correction on any of this as my understanding is likely flawed.

Tentative Goal:
I'd like to find an affordable/recommended router that comes with, or that I can flash with firmware, that adds adblocking to help protect my mother

I would absolutely welcome and be extremely grateful for guidance and recommendations for this situation as the prospect of my mom being vulnerable to losing what she has left scares me.

My humble thanks for any assistance.

Hi there,

Yes, in a compatible Asus Merlin Router, you can install an adblocker (diversion or adguardhome) on the router, add some blocklists like OISD or Hagezis and block ads in your home network...

You can also, use a dns adblocker service like NextDNS, ControlD, Adguard DNS, on the smarthphone (best case for ederly users) or the router (https dns option)...You can setup both options for best results...

The quantity of ads blocked will depend on the lists you choose...Check these links:

You can use OISD full or Hagezis Plus + Hagezis TIF and see if it makes a difference...

There are some ads that are more difficult to block, please check this: https://martech.org/ads-apps-cant-blocked-probably-wont/

Last edited:
Things you would need to get your ad-blocking to work. These links are not recommendations, but are provided only for reference on what to buy.

Instructions:

Download the firmware:

• Go to the Asuswrt-Merlin downloads page and download the firmware for your router model. Extract the downloaded .zip file with 7zip or any other program that can handle .zip files.

Flash the firmware:​

• Connect your computer to the router with ethernet cable.
  • Access the router’s web interface by entering http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser.
  • Do the setup wizard and remember to change the default password.
  • Navigate to Administration > Firmware Upgrade.
  • Click Choose File and select the downloaded firmware file, then click Upload.
  • Wait for the upgrade to complete and the router to reboot.

Prepare the storage:

• Connect the SSD or M.2 SSD to the USB port on the router using the adapter.
  • The router should recognize the storage device automatically.

Install amtm:​

• Enable SSH on the router from Administration, System, and in the Service section you can enable SSH. Use LAN only option and enable Allow Password Login.
  • Access the router via SSH (you can use an SSH client like PuTTY on Windows or Terminal on macOS/Linux).
  • Enter the admin password when prompted.
  • Once logged in, type amtm and press enter to install and launch amtm.

Install Diversion or AdGuardHome:​

• In the amtm menu, you’ll see options to install various scripts.
  • Type i (for install) and then select Diversion or AdGuardHome:
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation
  • After installation you can configure the ad-blocker.

Last edited:
How the ads are being served is going to be the key issue. Ad-blockers can be great at blocking web-based ads, but if the serving mechanism is built into the game they may do nothing.
Personally, I'd probably start by looking to change the DNS servers your existing router uses to Clean Browsing (or similar) as a first step before you start spending any money!

Like others said, router-based ad blocking is almost always implemented through filtering done at the DNS level. You can do that with any router on the market, by having the router's DNS point to a service like AdGuard or Cleanbrowsing. No need to spend extra on a higher end router that could run Asuswrt-Merlin as I generally don't support lower end models. Two of the currently supported models could be considered "mid-range", one of which is already EOL (the RT-AX56U), and the second only supports older hardware revisions (RT-AX58U, tho Gnuton's fork does support the newer V2 revision).

Outside of the other items on the chat - as these are well covered...

With a senior having some cognitive/memory challenges, might consider enabling "Assistive Access" on the iPhone... makes things a bit easier on the end-point with Mom being the end-user.

It puts a "simple" interface on to a smartphone, and you can define/allow access to the important features that are relevant to her needs. It's not about eliminating distractions, but enabling discovery for the important features...

Give it try...

I just want to thank you guys so very much! I can't thank you enough! I was able to find some good success with NextDNS. The only issue is that is seemed to break the games my mother liked to play. But at least I learned that spending money on a router wouldn't make much difference. I'll spend some time with her and see if we can find her some simple puzzle games that don't have ads to try to keep her safe and happy. Thank you guys very much!

Mobile devices tend to go around DNS-based blockers using preset DNS servers and DoH, DoQ, etc. DNS encryption. Your mom perhaps uses few apps most of the time. Purchasing the apps will most likely stop the advertisements displayed in free version. Definitely cheaper than few hundred dollars for a new router with no guaranteed results. You can add her phone to your account and even install whatever she needs remotely.