What's new

New Verizon Fios Router. Can no longer get Gigabit link speed, even through my switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dsc106

Occasional Visitor
I was previously using a Verizon supplied Dlink router (100mbps) to get to the internet and supply wireless. For my NAS and wired connections, I was first running through a Netgear gigabit switch.

Verizon came and gave me the new router (Westell Ultraline Series 3) and everything has been working fine (internet, connections, etc.) - EXCEPT... I can no longer get my gigabit NIC to go to 1gbps speed. When I reset it (through Vista SP1) it goes 1gbps, flashes between disconnected/connected and I get limited connectivity, and finally stops and sets itself to 100mbps.

Same cabling and everything as before. Not sure what could possibly be causing this?

Sorry if this is not enough info I am somewhat new to networking. All I know is it was working before, new router and now it is not... can't get my NIC to set itself to 1gbps.

Thanks for any help.

When you override the auto negotiation and the ports don't match you will have no connectivity. These days auto negotiation algorithms are excellent and just work.
Buy a gig switch or router.... or

I built a smoothwall.org firewall/router on a hand me down P3-800Mhz, w/512MB RAM, 30GB HD, 2 x 10/100NICs and later upgraded to a gigabit NIC for the internal port for just the same issues you are having. It has run 24/7 for 7+years and only been rebooted like 10 times for upgrades and patching. It is way over powered for my 10 PC LAN on a 6Mbps/512Kbps cable connection. Even when there are 3 or 4 client PC's running p2p and torrents it doesn't lockup like the other COTS routers I've had.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I am running gigabit through a SUB SWITCH. My old router didn't support gigabit either. The comps are all wired to the gigabit switch. The gigabit switch goes to the router for internet access.

It worked fine before w/the old router; I can no longer get gigabit speeds.

Do your computers get a gigabit link if you unplug the switch from the new router?

I think you just helped narrow it down.

YES - I get a 1gbps connection when I am not plugged into the router. However, I can no longer access the NAS - odd, since the NAS is plugged directly into the switch (NOT the router).

I think the NAS is getting an IP address from the router or something.... so maybe to SEE the NAS, my computer for some reason has to go to the router, then back to the switch...

Not sure why it would have to do that now but not before? Any ideas?

Unless you have the NAS and computers set with static IP addresses, they both get their IP addresses from the DHCP server in the router. Sounds like your NAS is losing its IP for some reason. But that's not your problem.

You need to watch the link/speed lights on the switch. If they switch to 1000 Mbps when the router connection is unplugged, but then switch to 100 when you plug in the router, then you have a broken switch. The only link that should be 100 Mbps on the switch is the one connected to the router.