What's new

New Wifi Setup - Mesh or Tri-band Extender?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Calcalc

New Around Here
Hi there,

I'm working out the new Wifi setup of my house which I'm going to move in. I've read those article about comparing Mesh system and Tri-band extender. What I can get from those articles is that Extender is sufficient for a "small" area while Mesh may work better for a larger area. What confuse me is about the definition of "small" and large".

The walls of my house are built by brick so which may not be good for 5Ghz. Wiring Ethernet cable to all rooms is an option but it's costly.. hence I'm looking for a best Wifi solution (coverage + performance, which I'd stream video / large file anywhere in my house with more than one users) for my floor plan (size in meter).

My initial thought is to place 3 Mesh Wifi in Family room, Study area and 'Entry' ... yet I am not sure how those brick wall could deteriorate the performance in bedrooms. Welcome for all thought. Thanks!
FloorPlan.jpg

Brick/masonry walls will reduce 5 GHz signals whether they are from an extender, router, AP or mesh system. Are your interior walls brick/masonry?

Your home would qualify as large. But your success in successful coverage will depend a lot on where you can place the node that has an Ethernet connection to your modem. If it is centrally located, then the root node will have a good chance of reaching both branch nodes with good bandwidth.

If the root node is at one end of the house, then the second hop node may not get enough bandwidth through the first hop. Refer to the last two images in this article.

I'd recommend you try an original Orbi (RBK50).

Thanks for the response~ Yes the interior walls are brick as well.

And thanks for the link which give me a clearer picture on the placement of the node.

Where does your network equipment live? Where does the dip come into the houses etc.

Do you have coax in any of these rooms? I (and others) have had good experience using MoCA either for direct connectivity or as a wireless backhaul.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!