What's new

Noob here - Need help in new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jamus

New Around Here
Hello Everyone,

I have an old WNDR3700 that the WiFi is finally starting to crap out on.

I moved into a 2000 sf 2 story house with basement so I am also looking to upgrade the WiFi. Note that the router is located in the basement on one end of the house.

Couple of thoughts / questions:

1) Should I keep the WNDR3700 for it's router application, reflash it with DD-WRT and turn the WiFi radios off?

2) Since I need WiFi and probably multiple units I was looking at getting an ORBI setup. Does this make sense or should I just pick up 2 AP's?

Any other thoughts / suggestions? Need to move on this pretty quick and I'm somewhat of a network noob so would need some guidance with more advanced settings.

Any help is appreciated.

If you're happy with the WNDR3700's routing features, sure, you can keep it. But if the Wi-Fi flakiness is due to a failing power wart, the router will eventually go.

If you have Ethernet where you want to place your APs and are ok with the extra work of setting them up properly, then go ahead and get APs. You can get some pretty decent AC1200 APs for under $100. 2x2 AC Access Point Roundup

Ended up turning in the WNDR3700 (for the 15% off) and grabbed an ASUS RT-AC3100.

Right now I'm pretty happy with the decision as the WiFi is better than the old, it seems good enough for my house, and the user interface is much more friendly and informative.

Need to scour the forums for optimization tips but for the price difference from getting the ORBI I think I made a good choice.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!