What's new

Noob: improving 2.4Ghz range?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Toranaga

New Around Here
Hi there

I just shifted from Apple routers to AC68U. The range is better, but I have problems in my bedroom (with the router signal not the other department :D ). It goes from 2 bars on my iPhone down to no signal at all and back. Are there any settings I can try to change to get better range/more stable on 2.4Ghz?

My bedroom is a floor above where the router is. Would I perhaps benefit from changing to an aftermarket antenna/antennas? If so please link to one you can recommend.

Thanks!

Hi there

I just shifted from Apple routers to AC68U. The range is better, but I have problems in my bedroom (with the router signal not the other department :D ). It goes from 2 bars on my iPhone down to no signal at all and back. Are there any settings I can try to change to get better range/more stable on 2.4Ghz?

My bedroom is a floor above where the router is. Would I perhaps benefit from changing to an aftermarket antenna/antennas? If so please link to one you can recommend.

Thanks!
You must live in a giant steel walled house!

I use aftermarket antennas with my own units (radiolabs.com) but I am sure there are lots. D-Link also has them.

I use a 15db gain omni (radiolabs.com) on the centre antenna connection and route it to the outside of the building (steel walled). Coverage inside is fine and outside range is many hundreds of feet on 2.4Ghz frequency.

Plus I have the rf output set to 80mW so that heating of the output stage is less problematic (I hope). Range is no problem.

With the Merlin firmware, this is the best router I have ever owned. It even beats some of the higher output units for range.

Hi there

Thanks!

You might want to consider changing your antennas. Thats what I did. It really improved my range and helped tremendously in blind spots for me. The following are what I have used with good effect. I can even get connected to my wireless on my 12th floor apartment when I'm at the swimming pool on the 3rd floor. Patchy connection there but I was never able to do that with the default antennas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMJI9TA/?tag=snbforums-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UBNJ48/?tag=snbforums-20

First thing first: install an wireless survey software; WiFi Analyzer is my favorite but I don't know if there's an ios version.
Look for what 2.4 channels are less used where the router is installed and confirm you are seeing the same channel free in your bedroom.

If you find it, configure your router to use that channel.

By doing this you will minimize the interference and you will get a more stable connection. Possible range may get better also.

If this doesn't solve the problem, you need to consider better antennas, a range extender, an additional access point (listed from "cheap" and less effective to the most expensive and efficient option)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!