What's new

Noob needs more range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tahoemark

New Around Here
I would like to have more range than my current setup.

I have an n300 router where my cable modem is and wired a TP-Link Archer c7 on another level. On my patio I have mediocre to no signal from both. My thought replace the N300 with Archer C7 and buy a new router for the other level. Most of my use is on the other level and typically includes 2 iphones,2 ipads, 2 laptops, firstick, roku.

I want a reliable, set it and forget it system. I was thinking of the Asus RT-AC68U ($140). But then I found a couple of sites that recommended the d-link DIR-882 ($118) for best range. I stopped by the store and the also had a tp-link ac2600 ($99).

I am now totally confused. Your help is appreciated.

That's a D-Link. There are not many D-Links with good hardware, or rather reliable hardware (they always look great on paper or under short, lucky sample reviewer tests), and zero with better software that their main competitors. Even Netgear beats D-Link in stock software and that's not a compliment.

Your budget seems to have a large range and is a little awkward. In case it is even more flexible, for $48 more you can get probably the best consumer WiFi hardware available in a standalone router, i.e. the Netgear R7800, and beyond that is both the flagship Asus RT-AC86U and the powerful Synology RT2600ac.

If your budget is strictly at or below $140, then Asus RT-AC68U is definitely the best option overall at retail prices.

The TP-Link Archer C2600 has complaints almost as high as D-Links, but if I had to chance it, I would definitely take the C2600 over the D-Links, especially at that 20% discount. It has Qualcomm radios which are generally high quality and often open source friendly.

If you use mainly/only 2.4 GHz, then you won't see much gain with any of these routers over your existing Archer C7, i.e. simply getting a 2nd Archer C7.

If you do use 5 GHz, you could gain as much as 20% extra performance on average over your C7 with the C2600, according to SmallNetBuilder.

Meanwhile the Asus RT-AC68U has many more features, that you may use in future, and is more reliable than either of them. Its 5GHz performance is between the C7 and C2600 on average.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback on d-link. Reliability is very important to me. I don't foresee needing a ton of throughput, but would like coverage and range. I'm willing to pay more but always like getting best bang for the buck. I don't imagine I will ever need or want to use advanced features. With tech stuff, like routers, I tend to buy what has been out and proven in the market place. I'm not an early adopter or beta tester. (been there done that)

I'll look at the router suggestions thanks. Any other suggested routers??

I looked at the R7800 and the RT-86U. the router is located I see it all the time. One think I hate about the my current C7 is the size. The R7800 is even bigger. I can't decide if the vertical orientation of the RT-86u would bother me. Looking at size and aesthetics I saw the Asus blue cave, fairly small, interesting looking and no Alien Antenna! Am I nuts to consider that??

Go with either the asus or tplink, avoid the dlink as most of the DIR line is actually terribly designed both firmware and hardware quality. And in regards of firmwares dlink is very vulnerable, they've been more proactive but still make big blunders that you cant defend against.

Just remember that the most important factor to range is placement, interference check and tweaking the advanced wifi. I usually have the practice of setting the highest tx power for 5Ghz, lowest for 2.4Ghz as it gives the best balance and doesnt leak your 2.4ghz all over the place and interfere with other peoples 2.4Ghz wifi as well. Interference check is simple, just get your phone, get an app like wifi analyzer, go around the house and scan about for wifi and doing the same after you placed your router, as you'd want to be seeing high signals for your wifi and it helps identifying dead spots and if you need to move the router.

Tweak the advanced settings for wifi, try to learn what each field means. Setting it for a short range high performance setup can sometimes give you better performance at range. Just remember that no matter how strong your wifi is, the client has to be strong enough to talk back too so most of the time i find that long range setups dont work in a regular home wifi environment where a high density config tends to work better.

Okay, which router is closer to your patio? And what is the distance between the router and patio? And what is between them? (walls, plumbing, microwave, etc)?

That may affect the recommendation.

With my sample size of 1, I have a 3 year old d-link DIR-859 that's been a tank. (But I had to install DDWRT to get it to do what I want it to do.)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online