What's new

Noob ? on linking external HD with Asus Wireless Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joe1896

New Around Here
A few months ago I purchased an Asus AC68U Wireless router to achieve better wi-fi speed and equip my new home for future wi-fi enabled devices (phones, TV, etc).

Additionally, I purchased a 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim. My goal here is to link to HD to the USB 3.0 Port of the Asus and use the HD as a de facto network drive for the 3 laptops, 2 iphones, and 1TV currently connected to my home network. However, for the life of me I CANNOT figure out how to get this whole thing set up. The Asus does recognize the Seagate HD on the native dashboard, but I have been unable to map the HD using shortcuts with any of the devices on the network.

I contacted Seagate and they told me that this HD is not designed/capable of the task I am describing, before directing me to a portion of their website where I could buy a more expensive (and unnecessary) NAS unit.

It seems like I may be missing an early step here but I just can't think through this myself. Can anyone help??

Find the default gateway (aka router LAN IP). Then type this on Windows explorer:

\\router's IP

example: \\192.168.1.1

On a Mac, follow this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5884

after knowing the exact address, you can now use Map network drive functionality and just copy and paste the address.

Hope this helps.

Find the default gateway (aka router LAN IP). Then type this on Windows explorer:

\\router's IP

example: \\192.168.1.1

On a Mac, follow this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5884

after knowing the exact address, you can now use Map network drive functionality and just copy and paste the address.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the suggestion. So I find the LAN IP and enter into Windows explorer. The window appears to connect, but is just blank (no files, no subfoldes, nothing). This IP does appear in the dropdown below "Network" in the tree of windows explorer, but when I try to use the Map Network Drive function, the IP does NOT appear in the list underneath network. Stuck again..

Network discovery and file sharing set to on for both a Desktop PC and laptop. Same problems persist.