What's new

Not always connecting to the Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Biker

Regular Contributor
First, The connections- Wired from the Modem to a Cisco RVS54000, which has one wired workstation computer and a wired, Wireless EnGenius ESR9850; the ESR9850 is setup as a AP Router with WDS enable.
A second Wireless EnGenius ESR9850 is setup as a Repeater on the second floor of the house with two wired computers attached.
All the needed function are set for both EnGenius, (Router setup)firewall, WPA2 pre-shared key and WPA2(AES), channel set-not in auto and bandwidth at max, short Preamble, CTS protection, etc.

The problem is while using a wireless computer "only" to access the repeater to connect to the internet, the connection does not initiate at times and or stay connected.
Thanks for your help
Hap

reviewing the forum

I found this statement here on this site while reviewing different problems, and was wondering about the facts;
"If your WiFi router or access point supports 40MHz mode, your client may have an option for 40MHz enable. Most do not. And often, 40MHz mode doesn't work well or at all due to interference and non-11n devices, etc."

First, The connections- Wired from the Modem to a Cisco RVS54000, which has one wired workstation computer and a wired, Wireless EnGenius ESR9850; the ESR9850 is setup as a AP Router with WDS enable.
A second Wireless EnGenius ESR9850 is setup as a Repeater on the second floor of the house with two wired computers attached.
All the needed function are set for both EnGenius, (Router setup)firewall, WPA2 pre-shared key and WPA2(AES), channel set-not in auto and bandwidth at max, short Preamble, CTS protection, etc.

The problem is while using a wireless computer "only" to access the repeater to connect to the internet, the connection does not initiate at times and or stay connected.
Thanks for your help
Hap
You'll have less problems if you use an Access Point (AP) instead of a WDS repeater. The AP connects to your WiFi router via a cat5 cable (if viable) or by HomePlug PNA or by MoCA (see the section in this forum on those technologies). The AP is merely a re-purposed WiFi router in the correct configuration (see FAQ).

Thanks for the input, but since I bought these two items I would really like to get them to work as Wireless, it would be a good exercise for me to learn.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!