What's new

Not sure what level of router to get?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stigs007

Occasional Visitor
I want to buy an AC router, I've been looking at the D-Link AC routers, but I'm not sure if a class 1200 router will be sufficient or if I should aim higher. The biggest thing I want is good range, and something that can provide good HD streaming. Any suggestions on how to decide on a class?

I want to buy an AC router, I've been looking at the D-Link AC routers, but I'm not sure if a class 1200 router will be sufficient or if I should aim higher. The biggest thing I want is good range, and something that can provide good HD streaming. Any suggestions on how to decide on a class?

I would suggest a really good look at the router reviews here on SNB, and the charts are a good place to start.

They do a great job of giving you hard #s at different distances in regards to signal strength and transfer speed, with plenty of real world advice too.

The router reviews on this site (smallnetbuilder.com) are hands down the most useful (IMHO) on the web because they don't just recycle the marketing bullet points, they drill down into testing and comparison that can reflect typical home situations, as well as untypical or more extreme ones. Also Tim, and the other reviewers, have tested way more routers than any typical end user in these forums, or other ones, could even come close to. So not just the #s but also the actual written reviews are very helpful.

To repeat Stevech's question, why AC? unless you have AC devices, an AC router provides no benefit.

If you just wanna AC, go with AC1200 class. It is the AC equivalent of N600. Priced right, simultaneous dual band and 2x2 to match the capability of most devices.