What's new

Novel: Securifi Almond Touch Screen WiFi router-WDS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
here's a novel new WiFi router and WDS repeater/range extender, also a client bridge to ethernet mode. I've not seen another yet that uses a built-in touch screen (color LCD) for admin - setup. To simplify the lay person's setup experience.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ns.newegg.com/marketplace/13-2239/300_120.jpg
and two demo videos
http://www.securifi.com/almond

Pretty inexpensive. Doesn't have gigE LAN ports - not a big deal as rarely does one obtain > 100Mbps net yield at the IP layer, on WiFi at any practical range (IP layer, not the WiFi bit rate). But wired PCs should connect to a cheap gigE switch, if there are to be large file transfers among PCs and/or a NAS.

But the manufacturer is a newbie and the product is unique. We geeks wouldn't likely choose it, but it is an interesting idea for the majority of consumers.

(I have no affiliation with this vendor)

Last edited:
ah so. Thanks. I suspected that, looking at the details.
Guess it didn't catch on and thus, the low price.

Belkin also had a very similar model a few years ago, LCD screen also had "bandwidth" meters and a picture slideshow if I remember correctly.

Hmmm... let's see:

It's a router/AP - more bells/whistles - stability and security issues compound with every feature added.

Properly designed router/home AP - set it once and leave it alone and let it run...

The Almond stuff - it's neat, nifty, and novel idea - but an answer to a question that perhaps shouldn't be asked. Why is a full android stack needed in a toaster?

Most AP's - consider them toasters/appliances - do one thing, do it well.

Nobody needs a refrigerator with a built-in toaster - something like this does nothing well. This is almond

sfx

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online