What's new

Number confusion making it hard to pick a router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kim Cross

New Around Here
The main area that my network uses is an open area about 600 sq ft with xbox one upstairs and wired. Currently I have Surfboard 6141 connected to a computer and Anker dual band N600 wireless router connected to my laptop, using TP Link 300 high gain adapter, and wired to an xbox one that is upstairs. Router is in the center of an open 600 sq ft space along with all electronics using wireless. The only time there is a problem is when an online video and xbox one are being used at the same time or when trying to stream a movie to the TV then there is buffering or disconnects so thinking I need a better router

My cox program is 50 mbps down and 5 up, speednet and some others show speeds around 45 to 55 down and 7 to 14 up and my windows wireless connection shows close to 56 million bytes sent and 325 million received. I would like to move from cable TV to online programming (hulu, netflix, etc.) and likely would need to move up to the next level for internet of 100 mbps down. Since I will need a new laptop in the next year as well as a DVD player and mobile phone, I suspect I would soon have ac electronics and should go ahead and get an ac router along with an ac adapter for laptop.

My confusion starts with trying to put all the numbers together to figure out what speed I need for a router. I can't figure out how to use the numbers from my current and future internet speeds, those in reviews regarding up and down speeds of the routers, the number of devices being used at one time and how much speed they all would use. Add to that I keep reading articles about how in normal conditions you will only get about 25 to 50% of the speed listed on the router. And I'm not sure if I need to also look at the wired (is it LAN or WLAN) connection on the router for the xbox one.

After a week of reading hundreds of articles, reviews and posts, I am more confused than ever as to what I should buy so decided to just post here. If it matters, I was looking at about $150 or less for a router, $30 to $50 for an adapter and possible upgrade the wired connection but have not even started looking into that issue.

New router won't help the "RF attenuation of the flooring" issue.
Nothing better than getting cat5 cable from A to B. Nothing.
Next best is an IP over Power lines (homeplug and other names. There's a forum section on this.
As well, if there's existing TV coax outlets near the router and in the same room as the XBox, you can use MoCA. Same forum section.
Last choice is the range extender you have. Also called a WDS repeater. It halves the data rates becase it is a repeater.
A bit techie, but we can help you.
Are there WiFi PCs or other up there on the 2nd floor?

Wired is always better than wireless. My motto is if it does not move then use a wired connection. Wireless is for mobile devices.

Last edited:
@Kim Cross
Just buy one from a local store and if it does not meet your needs, take it back.

Buy whatever Netgear or Asus fits within your budget. Make sure it has 802.11ac support.

WiFi clients that support '11AC as well?

I probably would research clients before buying.
Researching which client to buy is much more troublesome, imo. I use wikidevi.com to research the hardware used in the device to assure my OS supports it.

Of course, once I find a well-supported, modern chipset and buy it on Amazon, they send a later version with a completely different chipset. The ad even explicitly said "2nd gen." :(

Though, I use Linux or BSD, which means proper driver support is more rare.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!