What's new

NWA-3560-N - Few Q's before purchasing...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tmacka88

New Around Here
Hi,

Currently, I am having quite a few troubles with my home wifi. Due to the size of the house and the concrete walls wifi has been a big problem. I have setup multiple AP's to get coverage but doing so makes it difficult for devices to move around the house without disconnecting and reconnecting to the next AP. This makes it really annoying. So I was after a setup that will cover the whole house and will handoff devices to the next (strongest) AP without ever disconnecting and reconnecting (forgot what this feature is called). With a little research I found a solution (I think/hope). I have to use business networking products that come at a price (which I dont mind if it works).

I think I have decided to use ZyXEL NWA-3560-N AP's. To start I think I will just have to AP's through the house and expand if needed. Now after reading this review on this site I have a few questions before I dive in for the buy.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31850-zyxel-nwa3560-n-80211-abgn-dual-radio-business-ap-reviewed?start=3

Finding information on setting up, configuring and finding products that do what im after was quite difficult and therefore is why i want some clarification. Reading the above review I noticed that it said if you implement managed AP "one configured as the controller, the other configured in managed mode". So therefore if i want to 2 AP's functioning, I will need 3x NWA's. Is this correct?

If this is the case is it possible to have a NWA3000-N for the controller as its cheaper and then get it to manage 2 NWA-3560-N AP's.

Can anyone confirm this and also double confirm that this setup would allow handoffs to wifi devices roaming through the house (around different AP's).

Thanks

Sorry, but the ZyXEL isn't going to do what you want and neither is any other consumer or "prosumer" equipment. What you want requires enterprise grade APs and client software that support proprietary fast-handoff protocols.

IEEE groups have been working on this problem for some time and standards addressing pieces of the puzzle have been published (802.11k, r, f). But these standards have generally not been incorporated into data clients. Most of the focus of the fast-handoff work has been VoIP devices, where some of the protocols have been implemented.

Well what would be the best way to setup a network with multiple AP. my biggest problem is the area in the middle between AP's where it is connected to one but the reception is so poor that no Internet is accessible until it loses connection and the reconnects to the closer AP. however this can take some time like 1-2min.

What would be the best way to over come this problem. Please give some solutions and or particular products.

Thanks again

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!