What's new

Odd WNDR4000 Problem: IP quads not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

typ993

New Around Here
So I set up my new WNDR4000 last night and ran into a couple of odd problems, not sure if they are related.

First is that using IP quad addresses for anything (access to config web pages, SSH) doesn't work. For example, my VOIP ATA has a status page that I access through its IP address. I've reserved a fixed IP address for the ATA and the WNDR4000 knows it's there, but if I put that address into a browser, it times out.

Oddly enough, I can type the router IP (192.168.1.1) into the browser on my (wireless) laptop and it works, but on my (wired) desktop, only the www.routerlogin.net address brings up the Netgear config page. However, the laptop can't access the VOIP ATA via IP address either.

And then my old HP laser printer is also assigned an IP address, and I can't print to it at all. I've reserved a DHCP address based on its MAC, but the Netgear isn't listing it in the attached devices list. The HP JetDirect MAC starts with 08 and I've read that Netgear has/had problems with MAC's that don't start with 00; could this be an issue? However, it didn't complain when I fed the MAC into the address reservation screen.

I'm coming from a WRT54GS running Tomato, so I'm not a complete networking n00b. My wired network runs on a couple of D-Link switches that are bridged together and then connected to the WNDR4000. Also, the laser printer is cabled to another switch connected to one of the D-Link switches. All this worked fine on the WRT54GS. Other than these issues, the WNDR4000 is also working fine.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Never mind! Figured it out: user error. When defining the IP range covered by the router, I mistyped 192.168.1.1 as 198.168.1.1. That explains the problems I was having. :eek: