What's new

Okay to Use a Router as an AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chunky

Occasional Visitor
1st post by a newbie, so please be gentle with me.

I have a home & small business network with a mix of Cat5, Cat 6 and wireless. The internet comes in via a Lynksis WAG160N modem router with wireless g and n. I then have a couple of old Dynamode hubs and a couple of Belkin wireless g access points remotely hanging off the WAG160N. About 6 hard wired PC's and 4 printers hang off the network, there's a NAS drive also and anything up to 6 laptops need wireless access. Because of geography, wireless access is mediocre and we get frequent internet drop outs and have to manually request a new IP (under Vista only, the XP machines seem to manage to get back on line okay).

Here's the plan..... I want to add a really good dual band extreme range wireless access point and then upgrade some of the laptops to wireless n miniPCI cards. So far, so good. But in the future I will probably want to split the network into home/business with a separate internet connection for each side. Both halves would still connect, so that we can see machines & data on the opposite side. I'll probably upgrade the wired machines to Gigabit at the same time.

In the interim, can I use a 4 port wireless router as an AP? It would eventually become the point where the two separate networks join up.

I was thinking of a Netgear WNDR3700 and just hanging it remotely off the side of the WAG160N. If I do this, will full internet access still be available to all PC's, or only to those on the "modem" side of the router?

Any problems with IP address conflicts or DNS issues?

Thanks!

Wow. Not just an answer but a how-to as well. Many thanks.