What's new

One Last Unsupported Update?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DrkShadow

New Around Here
What are the odds of getting one last build? :)

The RT-AC87U's last Merlin release is 2020-06-28, but the Asus firmware goes up through 2021-05-18. Included in things released after the last Merlin build are CVE patches, DDoS patches, "stability updates" and etc. Maybe it would be nice to have.

Is there a chance of one last release?

Absolutely none. No GPL code, no interest, and no point in it.

If security is your concern, being 3 years behind on security fixes is not any better than being 4 years behind - either way that device will have a large number of known security issues, and should not be used in 2024.

Only use as AP, AiMesh.
As Router bad idea...

I have a spare AC87U, might give a try to that updated dd-wrt beta.

Never realized that was a special "beta" section as in the regular one it also shows all betas (but very outdated)

Thanks for pointing it out.

I have a spare AC87U, might give a try to that updated dd-wrt beta.

Never realized that was a special "beta" section as in the regular one it also shows all betas (but very outdated)

Thanks for pointing it out.

All DD-WRT releases are labeled beta. Has always been that way. It means nothing. You can safely ignore the designation.

Thank you both for the info.
I could swear I once read about an add-on tool to simplify reverting back to stock from dd-wrt but now can't find it anywhere.
Anyway, its not something I'll be doing in the inmediate future.

Every AC router supported by Merlin is about to be in this not supported position after this year, so I would say either swap to a non Asus firmware or get an AX or BE router if you want to continue using Merlin's firmware

Every AC router supported by Merlin is about to be in this not supported position after this year, so I would say either swap to a non Asus firmware or get an AX or BE router if you want to continue using Merlin's firmware

I have the same issue w/ my RT-AC68U. It's been a great run, some 11 years! But the party eventually has to come to an end. I have several of them, all using different firmware, including Merlin, DD-WRT, and FreshTomato. They all work great, w/ each firmware offering advantages and disadvantages (w/ a lack of Merlin support to soon become a major disadvantage). DD-WRT has worked particularly well, giving me access to VLANs and Wireguard. Worst case, you can always move up to a better router for the primary, and use your current AC router(s) w/ these other firmwares (if supported) for other purposes (repeaters, bridges, standalone servers, etc).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!