What's new

OpenVpn settings for speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Col8eral

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-AX88U and have setup two OpenVpn servers. One with TCP and the other UDP. I see on a WiFi device 50 and 60mbps respectively when connected to these VPN servers. If connected directly to the router on the same device I see about 250mbps.

Are these speeds about right, or are there some settings on the OpenVpn servers I can change to increase speeds.

Many thanks.

Seems about right to me, for that router.

What are your ISP speeds? What are the ISP speeds of the network you're connecting from? What device(s) are you using to connect back to your network?

This is a chain, and the weakest/slowest link in between your router and remote device(s) will be your limiting factor.

My ISP is 1gbps. I'm on my Lan on an android phone using 5ghz WiFi. Direct WiFi gives me 250mbps, but with the OpenVpn servers get 60mbps. I read somewhere that an RT ax88u could support 200mbps on a VPN so thought I had configured it incorrectly.

I'm on my Lan

You have to test this server's performance from WAN and with faster than the router client. Connecting to VPN Server from LAN and routed back to your LAN is wrong and pointless. Your router can do about 200Mbps on OpenVPN (actually about 170Mbps with newer OpenVPN versions), but what your phone can do on OpenVPN?

The 200Mbps is for RT-AX88U Pro hardware, not the older RT-AX88U you stated in the first post.

A phone isn't a device to test max speeds with.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!