What's new

Optimal method to connect wireless routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wireless3141

New Around Here
I am trying to extend the range of my router and would like to connect my Asus RT-N66u router to my RT-AC87R router. The N66U would connect a few wireless devices (laptops, phones, TV) as well as have a wired connection to my SONOS. My setup is:

AC87R connected to cable modem in basement office. The N66U is upstairs on the other side of the house. I would like to connect the N66U wirelessly to the AC87R. Running a cable this distance isn't realistic so I set to Repeater Mode, realizing the bandwidth restrictions I'll incur.

My problem is when my device tries to connect to the N66U signal, the N66U routinely has lost the connection to the AC87R and I have to rescan for the SSID, enter the password, etc. Is there a configuration setting that I need to adjust (e.g., make a static IP? Alter the DHCP?) so that the N66U maintains the connection?

An alternative I considered is to get a powerline adapter to connect the two routers which I believe would allow me to use the N66U as an access point. I'm not sure if the performance would be better in this configuration than in the Repeater Mode. The new AV2 standard claims impressive speeds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

...IMHO powerline is not as reliable and delivering the bandwidth as advertised.
Especially if your home is not the newest.

A good alternative is powerline over coax (TV cable)..this type of cable is shielded and results are much better.

If you can't have either, I'd suggest to try use repeater mode as you just did but also use the dual-band feature of the ASUS.
I'd sacrifice the 5GHz band, using a SSID just for the link, and use only the 2.4GHz link for clients.
I am running this setup reliably at a friends home, to a non-ASUS main router.

Thank you for the insights. When configuring the primary and secondary router for repeater mode, do I need to adjust any of the IP/DCHP or other settings to prevent the secondary router from continually losing connection to the primary router? I see a note about needing to use a Device Discovery Utility tool due to changing IP address.

...you only need to configure the second unit as repeater mode.
When you do that, the setup-wizard will bring up the SSID discovery tool
(or you can start it from there) and you should see all SSIDs of your main router (and your neighbors of course).

You will also see the band 2.4 or 5Ghz with each SSID in the wizard.
Connect the N66u to the 5GHz SSID of your main router.
It will prompt you to name the 2.4GHz band SSID then.

As said, I'd sacrifice the 5GHz band exclusive for the link, although reach is shorter here, because all clients should support that, whilst not all will support 5GHz
Name the 5GHz SSID on your main like "my5Glink.
Have your clients connect to the 2.4GHz link(s) only...you can name them the same on both routers.

..this is a stable setup for me, but I am also using merlin FW in all my ASUS routers

I see a note about needing to use a Device Discovery Utility tool due to changing IP address.

...the second unit will switch off its DHCP server and will receive an IP from the main router. I'd just do all the config wired to the switch of the second unit. no discovery tool needed.

Aparently there seems to be a glitch in the FW, that would allow you to still use the second radio while in Media-Bridge mode.
See: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=20676
This would allow you to set up the link without the drawbacks of repeater mode.

AFAIU the FW is Asus-merlin 376.48_1 and this
should be in the stock FW of that release, too.

Let's hope this gets fully implemented sometime :D

Aparently there seems to be a glitch in the FW, that would allow you to still use the second radio while in Media-Bridge mode.
See: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=20676
This would allow you to set up the link without the drawbacks of repeater mode.

AFAIU the FW is Asus-merlin 376.48_1 and this
should be in the stock FW of that release, too.

Let's hope this gets fully implemented sometime :D

This 'glitch' is more cosmetic then anything, you can't connect to the other band even though it broadcasts in certain conditions due to how the new router initial setup works. It can be fixed by manually disabling the radio via the GUI or nvram.

I didn't try this on my N66U as it is in use ATM.
However, I was under the assumption, that you can actually connect and use the second radio when you stop it and then bring it up again through the config page, as mentioned in that thread.

Other FWs provide this feature, like tomato, BTW.