What's new

Option: Automatic LOG clearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

forum_dyskusyjne

Regular Contributor
I'm looking through the router logs, which are growing a lot.
95% of entries are:
Jun 15 22:22:08 roast: sta[46:7B:94:81:09:87] on ap[XX:XX:XX:99:XX:XX], rcpi is 56 and rssi is -82

An option should be added:
1. Erasing logs which works like a option restart schedule.
2. Possibility to enable/disable log entries such as: "roamast:"

If you haven't done so already use the option to report to Asus in the stock Asus firmware. Asus themselves may not see or read firmware improvement suggestions made on this website and they generally do not reply or respond to any posts or suggestions made on this website.

PS: See the Feedback page in the stock firmware GUI; Administration -> Feedback
Asus Router Stock Firmware Feedback Page.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking through the router logs, which are growing a lot.
95% of entries are:
Jun 15 22:22:08 roast: sta[46:7B:94:81:09:87] on ap[XX:XX:XX:99:XX:XX], rcpi is 56 and rssi is -82

1. Erasing logs which works like a option restart schedule.
2. Possibility to enable/disable log entries such as: "roamast:"

Why? What does it matter how the Log/RAM is managed by the router?

OE

Change of log level is possible in stock Asuswrt, in SSH:

Code:
nvram set log_level=x
nvram commit
service restart_logger

Default as I remember is 6. Try lowering to 4-5 and see the result. This will hide other log messages as well though.

Better option is using Remote Log Server, also available in stock Asuswrt, then filtering the log messages in software.

Other software options are available, whatever works best. This will also reveal log messages not visible in WebGUI*.

* - The way I found Asus hiding kernel crash messages flood some time ago when Runner/Flow Cache are active and IPv6 is enabled, I believe it was RT-AC86U router with one of the official Asuswrt releases, not sure if they fixed it later, don't have this model anymore and never tested others.

Last edited:
Automated log clearing makes no sense. If the log gets cleared 5 minutes after a logged incident, it will be missed.

The proper way to handling logs is through log rotation, and that is something Asuswrt already does.

Change of log level is possible in stock Asuswrt, in SSH:

Code:
nvram set log_level=x
nvram commit
service restart_logger

Default as I remember is 6. Try lowering to 4-5 and see the result. This will hide other log messages as well though.

Better option is using Remote Log Server, also available in stock Asuswrt, then filtering the log messages in software.

Other software options are available, whatever works best. This will also reveal log messages not visible in WebGUI*.

* - The way I found Asus hiding kernel crash messages flood some time ago when Runner/Flow Cache are active and IPv6 is enabled, I believe it was RT-AC86U router with one of the official Asuswrt releases, not sure if they fixed it later, don't have this model anymore and never tested others.