What's new

Overlapping 2.4Ghz Wifi Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaveMcLain

Regular Contributor
At my house which while in town is still reasonably isolated I've noticed a large increase in the number of wifi networks I can "see" when doing a site survey with my laptop. Over the last 5 years or so it's gradually gone from one other network or maybe two in a few areas of the house to as many as 10 in one bedroom. They are all spread out among the channels rather randomly and I know that if two networks have to share the space on one channel they can cooperate and take turns rather than just act like noise to one another. What I'm wondering is it necessary for the AP on the network to "see" the other competing AP that's on the same channel or is it OK for one or two of the clients to do so. In other words while I can "see" a competing network with my client laptop doing a site survey from my AP doesn't necessarily produce the same results. It doesn't see as many competing networks due to it's location. Any ideas? I'm just wondering because while my wireless network works just fine something similar could give some folks problems.

yes, the three non-overlapping channels in 2.4GHz are 1, 6 and 11. Too bad the IEEE define more than 3.

It's not the number of SSIDs you detect, it's all about choosing a channel that has no neighbors doing heavy streaming (HD video, unrestricted-speed FTPs or torrents, etc.).

A site survey tool needs to run for a few days, and log the channel utilization figures, not simply signal strengths and SSID counts. Typical consumer stuff lacks this capability.