What's new

Passive Antennas? Do they actually work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve40th

Regular Contributor
I travel allot, and I have tried the TP Link AC 750 travel router. Doesnt work very well as a extender, due to low SNR of incoming signal.
Are there antennas I can plug into laptop USB that can pick up low signals, boost them so I can have decent WiFi?
I currently have a AX 201 in my Sager Laptop with 10th Gen Intel i7 chip, and running W11.

You use passive antennas unless you purchase active antennas.

If you want better signal on the card you can get better pcb antennas for it with mhf4 connectors.

You could get an M2 sled for it and use it externally if you really want to get better wifi.

I travel allot, and I have tried the TP Link AC 750 travel router. Doesnt work very well as a extender

Travel routers have security as main goal, not Wi-Fi extension. What passive antennas plugged to USB you are thinking about? Can you give us an example of such device?

I was looking at TP link T4u. ALways like TP Link no frills items.
Most hotels have their APs hidden, very few have ethernet in the room too. This particular place in Alaska has the router under the stairs in a closet, two floor down. Signal via inSSIder is -49 . My freinds iPhone, two stories up is putting out -60. An iPhone! He is hotspotting..
Not a fan of hotpsotting with Tmobile/Sprint as they throttle it down real quick.

You use passive antennas unless you purchase active antennas.

If you want better signal on the card you can get better pcb antennas for it with mhf4 connectors.

You could get an M2 sled for it and use it externally if you really want to get better wifi.
This sounds like a avenue to go down. Can you recommend something?

Signal via inSSIder is -49 . My freinds iPhone, two stories up is putting out -60. An iPhone!

Not sure what you are talking about nor what your question is. Signal -49dBm is stronger than -60dBm. Seems like you don't know what travel routers are for and how to use one. What you are thinking of is a simple USB Wi-Fi adapter. What @Tech Junky is showing you is completely unrelated - mobile network modem with USB connection to PC. What do you need?

Not sure what you are talking about nor what your question is. Signal -49dBm is stronger than -60dBm. Seems like you don't know what travel routers are for and how to use one. What you are thinking of is a simple USB Wi-Fi adapter. What @Tech Junky is showing you is completely unrelated - mobile network modem with USB connection to PC. What do you need?
I understand the signals. I was referencing how weak the router is, compared to a little iPhone. Yes, I get every 3 to 6db is significant. But a router should be putting a significant signal out, and -49 is not good, compared to my home for example. 15-20 range everywhere in the house, 2700 sq/ft 2 level.
I need something that can act like an antenna, and can bring the signal in better. I feel like I am in the mountains trying to get a radio signal. Its weak, and the speeds are horrible here, less than 5Mbps downloads. If I go outside the closet, it is 20Mbps.

I want to get the Wifi signal. I guess my English sucks.
I want my laptop to be able to connect to the Wifi in the hotel and have excellent reception of it. Right now, and at many hotels, their signal being pushed out is weak.. Download speeds are not good. When you cant watch youtube or netflix and you get circles as it tries to load, there is a problem.

Try setting up a router as a media bridge. Then use an Ethernet cable to plug your laptop directly into the router being used as a media bridge. If your laptop doesn't have an Ethernet port plug an inexpensive Ethernet to USB adapter into it. No need to splurge on a gig capable adapter as you are never going to get that speed in a hotel.

Routers tend to have larger antennae and stronger radios than built in WiFi cards.

When you cant watch youtube or netflix and you get circles as it tries to load, there is a problem.

Most budget hotels offer 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network with limited speed for basic connectivity. Not intended for high bandwidth streaming services. If you get -49dBm signal, it's excellent. The issue is not in your Wi-Fi connection, but in Internet service this particular hotel offers.

If you're looking for a decent travel router - GL.Inet

WiFi6...

If you're looking for a decent travel router - GL.Inet

WiFi6...
This is a router you must plug into ethernet, correct? The TP Link acts as one, and as a extender, once you log into internet.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online