What's new

Solved PC Download Speed 15% of Norm - Asus RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdikland

Regular Contributor
One of my PCs (Dell Alienware R6 with Killer E2400 Gb Ethernet Controller) connected to the AC86U via ethernet cable is seriously struggling with download speed. The norm on this PC is 700-900 Mbps down and 16-17 up. Currently I am lucky if I can reach 90Mbps down.
If I disable my ethernet adapter and connect wirelessly I get anywhere from 300-600 Mbps
If I test any other PC connected via ethernet to the same ASUS router each returns the norm/expected download speed.
If I connect this PC to another router (TP-Link AX7800 connected to same ISP modem) I get the norm or even better download speeds.
I tested speeds using the router option Adaptive Qos/Internet Speed option and get Download - 746.25 Mbps Upload 17.32
I have tried rebooting all devices, releasing/renewing lease, deleting the var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases file, PC Windows System Restore using 1 week old file and even shutting everything down overnight. Nothing appears to fix this problem.

This issue has happened twice. I have no idea what I did first time this occurred but I managed to "fix" the problem by deleting this PC record on the router in the var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases file. I now think this may have been a coincidences.
The second time this occurred was immediately after I reconnected this PC to the ASUS router immediately after being connected to the AX7800 router. This is where I sit now.

So far I can only think of two options. 1 - Do a factory reset on the router 2- Get a new card. Neither option is appealing
I would greatly appreciate any other help or things I can try before I do either 1 or 2.

Rt-AC86U router
Merlin FW v386.14 (This was installed a little over a week ago. After the install I did a complete factory reset)

SOLUTION:

I can't believe I never checked this. I checked the controller properties and noticed the "link Speed" was 100/100. I could not find anyway to modify this speed in control panel (100 mbps full duplex was the fastest speed available). I swapped out the ethernet cable and voila..... Suddenly my link speed is back to 1000/1000. Still doesnt explain why when connected to the tp-link router the speed was not an issue as I was using the same cable. Oh well...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.