What's new

PIA & Geo-unlocking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

At this point, people might want to start looking into renting a VPS, and running a VPN server/proxy on it. With the current shortage of available IPv4, VPN providers will eventually run out of subnets to move to.

(And meanwhile a lot of perfectly good subnets will become burned/unusable as Netflix and others will have them blacklisted, and probably never bother cleaning it up in the future...)

At this point, people might want to start looking into renting a VPS, and running a VPN server/proxy on it. With the current shortage of available IPv4, VPN providers will eventually run out of subnets to move to.

(And meanwhile a lot of perfectly good subnets will become burned/unusable as Netflix and others will have them blacklisted, and probably never bother cleaning it up in the future...)
VPS servers don't seem to be cheep. VPN client costs 40 USD a year this VPS is like 50 USD a month, big difference.
I think I will stick to VPN clients for now :)

VPS servers don't seem to be cheep. VPN client costs 40 USD a year this VPS is like 50 USD a month, big difference.
I think I will stick to VPN clients for now :)

An entry-level VPS is 10$/month. Some even offer cheaper ones at 5$/month.

Look at Linode for a good VPS provider.

As a bonus the VPS can perform many other functions too, so if you can look at it that way you can leverage more value from it.

An entry-level VPS is 10$/month. Some even offer cheaper ones at 5$/month.

Look at Linode for a good VPS provider.
Is it easy to setup a VPN client on one of these servers?
What programs would I need to install?
Also wouldn't they be logging everything? Is it really private?
all things to consider about a VPN. with PIA they claim not to log and they don't bother if you torrent all day long.
Maybe these VPS servers will complain if one uses it for torrents and VPN

Is it easy to setup a VPN client on one of these servers?
What programs would I need to install?
Also wouldn't they be logging everything? Is it really private?
all things to consider about a VPN. with PIA they claim not to log and they don't bother if you torrent all day long.
Maybe these VPS servers will complain if one uses it for torrents and VPN

You'll want to install and configure an OpenVPN server ideally. It requires knowledge of Linux and how to setup a Linux server + an OpenVPN server. It's not "easy", but it's not impossible to do either.

The VPS is yours to manage. The only thing the provider could potentially log is TCP/IP connections to and from the VPS's IP (as well as CPU usage, in case of abuses).

Read the terms of service of the provider before using them to determine what legal usages might be frowned upon. Illegal usage will always be denied, and be cause for termination of service. Piracy is illegal, no matter how you try to use or hide it...

I'm advocating the use of a VPS for people in need of either hiding their traffic from their ISP, or from the remote destination. If you use it to torrent illegal content, and your VPS provider receives a complain because their IP address was logged, then they will most likely terminate your VPS.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!