What's new

Please recommend Router extender for across the street to another router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

novice121

New Around Here
Hi guys, let me get right to it.

I have to send Wifi routers, and adapter, or whatever I need to amplify, and share the best Wifi connection across a street 30 feet wide, and rooms facing each other (maybe another 10 feet).

My knowledge is very limited, but I understand that my best bet is AC to AC Wifi, because of these reasons:

-I used dd-wrt a LONG time ago on my old linksys WRT54, and dd-wrt seems to be present in current AC devices.

-Nobody has ac routers and adapters in that neighborhood, they all use G, and maybe N, but not many of them, so I guess less interference?

- I used to read about home built amplifiers cones made with aluminum with old G routers, but I guess AC has no need for that because of beamforcing, and better reach?

So, basically I need the best possible Wifi connection across a street, and I don't really know what I should buy, or if I even need third party firmware for overclocking anything, or idk...

My brand of choice will be TP-Link most likely, but if you guys have better recommendations, please share =]

Need more info. Are you networking the two homes? Is it more than one home you need to do this with?

What is the ISP supplying and what are the demands of both / all households?

Is this line of sight or are there obstacles in the way of where the minimum of two routers will be placed (one in each house)?

The simplest way to do this will leave both homes' networks visible to each other. Is this the goal?

Is there an ISP download limit per month? Will this affect the ones actually paying for the 'net?

I second the recommendation for the EnGenius. And you don't need 802.11AC for a link as you describe, due to the distance.

You don't want a router per se. Read on...

You need either a bridge pair as above, or one side is a WiFi router in a window 2nd floor and the other side is a WiFi client bridge, not a router.
Some products like the ASUS RT-N12/D1 ($40) are tri-mode: Router or client bridge or WDS repeater. You want client bridge... Antenna links to neighbor, ethernet port connects to PC.

Guys, you are too much! I'm sorry I couldn't reply sooner, won't happen again, and will keep you posted. Here's more info:

1. Establish a stable Wifi connection between 2 rooms across a street (maybe 60 feet apart from wall to wall), no trees in the way, just some powerlines.
  2. In one room, the ISP is a WiMax connection with no caps, slow, but stable at 2Mbps download speeds, hooked to a CHEAP Wireless router in that house that feeds a laptop, and some cellphones, all through WiFi /n. (Will get the model name of that Wimax router soon)
  3. On the other side/room, I only need to have that stable connection for only one laptop.

I have already bought these 2 items, and as far as the TP-LINK TL-WA7210N High Power Outdoor Wireless N150 Access Point, 2.4GHz 150Mbps, WISP/AP Router/AP, 12dBi antenna, Passive POE goes, I read that I only need to buy one, instead of 2, to make the bridge?

This adapter is for the single laptop, that although has a built in wifi adapter, I thought this would only help:
TP-LINK Archer T4UH AC1200 High Gain Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter, 2.4Ghz 300Mbps/5Ghz 867Mbps, USB 3.0, WPS Button, Supports Windows 8.1/8/7/XP
tC1LGs1.jpg

This outdoor extender I assume would be somehow hooked to that single laptop, and mounted with a cable to the outside facing that Wimax router:
TP-LINK TL-WA7210N High Power Outdoor Wireless N150 Access Point, 2.4GHz 150Mbps, WISP/AP Router/AP, 12dBi antenna, Passive POE

VaRl6Ne.jpg
r6asvBe.jpg

I'm really liking the idea of that ASUS 3-In-1 Wireless Router (RT-N12) to replace that Wimax router (if possible), but I don't know if that will help much.

PS: blonde moment here, but I think if that outdoor range extender needs an ethernet cable connected to the laptop, then I won't need that other wifi ac adapter then... maybe just the extender connected to that 3-in-1 router to work as a repeater in the single laptop house?

Last edited:
Ok, here's a quick test we did using the TP-LINK TL-WA7210N High Power Outdoor Wireless N150 Access Point, 2.4GHz 150Mbps, WISP/AP Router/AP, 12dBi antenna, Passive POE
as well as the ASUS 3-In-1 Wireless Router (RT-N12).

My friend's house uses Comcast broadband at 27 Mbps download speeds, and 6 Mbps upload speeds pretty stable at give or take 2 Mbps sometimes. His house had 2 people browsing the internet with 2 laptops, and one kid playing PS4 online, as well as 4 cellphones connected to his wifi at all times while we were doing this test.

So we went ahead and used 2 100ft cords, plus a 50ft cord to test across the street... we setup the TP-LINK TL-WA7210N as a long range repeater, and the Asus router as a simple wifi router connected to the TP-Link.

JJuQ13z.jpg

The main router is to our right of that black car, right behind that tree, and behind a window/wall.

If we held the TP-Link high by hand, we would get the full 27 Mbps download speeds, and same upload speeds, but if we tilted it just barely a bit, the speeds would drop right in half more or less. Notice there is a tree in the way, but more often than not at any given position we would use the TP-link, we would get more or less half of the 27 Mbps, and around 3 Mbps upload speeds.

This was all done with the Wifi coming off the Asus router connected to the TP-Link, and in a surprise twist, we connected the TP-Link ethernet cable directly to the laptop we were using for the tests, and got all the same half speeds more often than not, but if we came at only 150 feet from the router, the speed would remain stable at around 27 Mbps using the ethernet directly.

I don't know if the EnGenius products will do better, or if using 2 long range extenders as a bridge would give a solid stable connection... they probably will, but I already purchased this one before asking you guys, and I wonder if they will be worth it knowing they only get an unstable 2 to 3 Mbps over there in a good day over ADSL...

Is the goal sharing one fast reliable connection to avoid paying for two?

That is probably against your terms of service. Assuming this is more to do something like co-host servers for redundancy maybe extend an ethernet line to the street
Then hook up an access point inside a weather proof box like the cable co puts there stuff in.

Maybe use power over ether net to power the AP unless there is a light post you can tap into.

No, the reason for a stable connection is because Wimax over there is awful, and I just found out they were lucky enough to get ADSL across the street (misunderstood my sister, and thought it was wimax).

I say lucky, because it's REALLY hard to get an ISP to give you any type of internet at all in the area, and they waited 3 years to even get ADSL in that house, but the neighbor next to them can't get it... it's a "wait-in-line" type of service that you go out of your way to constantly demand it.

I don't really care how much I pay for their internet.

Use a pair of the outdoor bridges to make the link. Aim them carefully with LINE OF SIGHT, i.e. no tree or other obstacles between.

At the far end, use another wireless router to form the local network. Repeating loses half your bandwidth.

No, the reason for a stable connection is because Wimax over there is awful, and I just found out they were lucky enough to get ADSL across the street (misunderstood my sister, and thought it was wimax).

I say lucky, because it's REALLY hard to get an ISP to give you any type of internet at all in the area, and they waited 3 years to even get ADSL in that house, but the neighbor next to them can't get it... it's a "wait-in-line" type of service that you go out of your way to constantly demand it.

I don't really care how much I pay for their internet.

Is there no cable TV DOCSIS service?