What's new

Portable classroom storage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dmc

New Around Here
My apologies for posting this in two locations, but I am not sure if it is a wireless or a NAS question.

I need to put together a portable network storage solution for 20 to 30 computers. I teach a class where students use laptops or chromebooks. They need to store data in a central location so that it doesn't matter which laptop or chromebook they use. The classroom moves from place to place. Sometimes there is a wifi network in a location and sometimes there is not. It would be nice to proxy internet traffic to the wifi if it is available, but that is not necessary. I would prefer that each student not have to log in separately as some of them are very young.

Ideas?

Buy an RT-N66U or higher router.

Configure it along with the 20 or 30 computers so that they are connected wirelessly.

Buy a NAS and configure it (as read only) to use a common folder if you're sharing files to each student - or, create a folder for each computer to be able to save to it (read/write access).

Doesn't seem like internet is a priority - depending where you are (and internet is available via an Ethernet cable), simply connect to the router's WAN port.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!