What's new

Powering a 19V Asus Router with a USB-PD laptop Cord?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cloneman

Occasional Visitor
Curious to see if this would work.

USB-PD apparently has a mode that can deliver 20 Volts, and they sell a cable that adapts USB-C to DC Barrel Jack "for asus laptops".
https://www.newegg.ca/p/1VJ-00P0-00018 (this one is 4.0x1.35mm , not sure what size Asus routers use now)

Would the router just "know" how to to pull 20V or do only laptops have this kind of logic.

Or is the magic in that tiny cable that tells the power source to always put out 20V instead of the default?

In the specs it says the necessary components to request the higher power are built into the USB-C connector.

USB-PD apparently has a mode that can deliver 20 Volts, and they sell a cable that adapts USB-C to DC Barrel Jack "for asus laptops".
https://www.newegg.ca/p/1VJ-00P0-00018 (this one is 4.0x1.35mm , not sure what size Asus routers use now)

Would the router just "know" how to to pull 20V or do only laptops have this kind of logic.

Or is the magic in that tiny cable that tells the power source to always put out 20V instead of the default?

As I read it, the adapter output is a fixed 20vdc (the current varies with the load connected to it). You must provide the input USB-C charger with a power rating suitable to deliver the current required by the connected load/laptop/router operating at 20vdc... a router may not require as much current as a laptop(?), so a less powerful charger than is discussed may suffice.

OE

Both adapters that you have referenced are good for 65W (about 3A at 19V). Check your router PS and see what the specs are. As long as PS you are proposing to use is rated at the same or more power than the Asus supplied PS AND that rating does not exceed 65W (the limit this adapter can handle) you are fine.

My feeling is that the adapter is probably a little small for a router.

My feeling is that the adapter is probably a little small for a router.
Just for a reference point, the back of my AX86U states 19.5 volts, 2.3 amps max (45 watts). In practice it uses much less than that.

Just for a reference point, the back of my AX86U states 19.5 volts, 2.3 amps max (45 watts). In practice it uses much less than that.
In that case, the OP should be fine. That said, I have always found that ASUS provides PS that are minimum in size. Back in the day of the AC86U famous hang on reboot issue, I solved mine by replacing the PS with a 20V 4A supply. I suspect it is the initial surge at power up that is the most power draw.

They just provide the same power supply used for many other devices including chromebooks and laptops, perhaps cost saving measure. I have an Asus laptop with the same power supply as RT-AX86U for example. Initial power surge is there plus eventual max power on USB ports as per specifications. Higher max current on the power supply side is okay, it will heat up less. I don't know how good/reliable is the cable adapter above though. 🤷‍♂️

I would say no - not worth doing...

It's not that the cable is connected right or wrong - it depends on the PSU side to also do the right thing with USB-PD...

In an ideal world, things would just work, but I've found that many USB-C power adapters do not do it right, most fail safe to 5V/1A (5 watt) which is likely ok for a mobile phone...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!