What's new

Powerline eat powerline?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

veer

New Around Here
Hi everyone, a recent issue (highlighted in another post) has led me down the powerline road and thus far I am very satisfied with the results. During this switch to powerline I have ended up acquiring two different generations of powerline equipment manufactured my TP-LINK. The ones currently in use the TP-LINK PA6010KIT and the ones I would like to put to use TP-LINK PA2010KIT.

Would using the older and much slower 200 series slow down the performance of the 600 series adapters and would installing additional powerline impact/degrade the overall powerline network?

The powerline connects to a gigabit port on the TP-LINK Archer C7 V2 and my ISP package is 25 MBPS. The current powerline connects to an older generation Airport Extreme and I would like to connect the "new" powerline to my Vonage box. Majority of my usage is to stream content to and from Apple TVs and Macbooks (not sure if any of this matters).

I am new and naive to the ways of powerline, thus my confusion. Looking forward to all your replies. Thank you.

Hi everyone, a recent issue (highlighted in another post) has led me down the powerline road and thus far I am very satisfied with the results. During this switch to powerline I have ended up acquiring two different generations of powerline equipment manufactured my TP-LINK. The ones currently in use the TP-LINK PA6010KIT and the ones I would like to put to use TP-LINK PA2010KIT.

Would using the older and much slower 200 series slow down the performance of the 600 series adapters and would installing additional powerline impact/degrade the overall powerline network?

The powerline connects to a gigabit port on the TP-LINK Archer C7 V2 and my ISP package is 25 MBPS. The current powerline connects to an older generation Airport Extreme and I would like to connect the "new" powerline to my Vonage box. Majority of my usage is to stream content to and from Apple TVs and Macbooks (not sure if any of this matters).

I am new and naive to the ways of powerline, thus my confusion. Looking forward to all your replies. Thank you.

If old and new are configured to use the same frequency - yes. It'll be like WiFi where we all compete to use a channel and those +/- 2 from ours.

Some/most power line IP allow a choice of frequencies, setup by a web admin session or switches or some such.

All powerline adapters share a common frequency space, with thousands of carrier frequencies. Unlike WiFi, the user has no control over the frequency used. The frequency space or band is shared by all powerline devices. So the more devices in use, the lower the throughput for each pair of devices.

When 200 and 600 Mbps adapters communicate, the lower speed determines the maximum connect rate.

When a pair of 200 Mbps adapters and a pair of 600 Mbps adapters are used simultaneously, the 600 Mbps pair throughput will be reduced.

As above, but to expand.

If all 4 powerline adapters are hooked up, it won't necessarily slow anything down. Only when they are actively transfering data will the faster adapters be slowed down. It is like wifi where the slower devices slow down the faster devices as powerline is a shared medium.

So if the slower devices got, say, 50% of the talk time, they might be communicating at 200Mbps rate (they won't be that fast, but lets just say so for the sake of this example) during that 50% of the time. Then the 600Mbps get to talk for 50% of the time.

The effective date rates of each becomes 100Mbps and 300Mbps respectively because each only gets to talk 50% of the time. If the 200Mbps kit was 600Mbps, it could finish talking sooner and let the other adapters start chatting.

Similar principal to wifi. Also since airtime and wiretime fairness aren't necessarily a thing, odds are good that the slower kit is going to be taking up an unequal amount of wiretime compared to the faster kit, imposing a larger speed reduction.

That said, when the 200Mbps isn't in active use, the 600Mbps kit is going to see no speed reduction, as it isn't actively sharing wiretime.

Thanks and apologies

Thank you for the response, I'll stick to the two 600s and leave the Vonage plugged into the router. Accept my apology as I just noticed a dedicated forum section for powerline etc.

Feel free to move the post to the powerline section if that is even possible.

Thanks once again.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online