What's new

preamble long vs. short

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Naftali Oziel

Regular Contributor
What is the consensus with preamble, primarily all my devices are N minimally. I have no BG network. Some say to change the settings to short while others say leave it to default. It is unfortunate that there is no auto settings so it can decided to use either the long or short. I hear long is better in general when you have far devices and it stabilizes the connection

Your thoughts is much appreciated

Your thoughts is much appreciated
I vote for "short" - but Google is your friend with a lengthy explanation why which option is good or not - I like the good explanation at routerguide.net - also for the other options! :rolleyes:

But basically you are always safe if you leave all advanced Wireless Options at their defaults - you can do more harm in changing them then you would do good! :eek:

I usually either leave it as it is, or manually set 5 GHz to Short and leave 2.4 Ghz to Long. Bottom line is, it won't really matter, you won't see any visible difference in performance.

When in doubts, leave things to their default setting. There is such a thing as "overtweaking", you never know when a newly added client might not like a change you did months ago, and have forgotten about since. Default values are most of the time the best values in this case, unless having a very specific reason to change something.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!