What's new

Problem with Manually Assigned IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xmastor

New Around Here
I am trying to configure my RT-AC66U router with Manually Assigned IP. The actual assignment of the an IP address to the MAC address went fine. After saving/applying the changes, I can reach all the servers using their newly assigned IP address.

My problem is that I can not reach any of the servers by using their assigned names. In trying to resolve the problem, I have added "local" to the RT-AC66U's Domain Name field in Lan->DHCP Server, but I still could not reach the servers using their names. After "local" not working I replaced it with "lan" but it did not work either.

Looking at the log file, I can see that the file /etc/ethers (which contains the IP assignments) is read by dnsmasq but still I can not reach any of the servers using their names.

Do I am missing something? Is there anything that I need to add to dnsmasq to make this possible? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Isaac

The "Name" field on the DHCP Static Lease page is only used as a description for now, it isn't an authoritative name. You have to use the named configured on the clients themselves.

Make sure your clients are using the router's IP for DNS, and not your ISP's.

Nice, coming from Tomato Toastman since 1 week, I'm missing a bit off that feature. I used to access my share like \\wdlxtv or \\nas. Thanks for the head up :)

I have this same issue, but I wrote a script that should take care of it:

Code:
# Preparing static DHCP-DNS
static=`nvram get dhcp_staticlist`
dnsmasq_conf=/tmp/etc/dnsmasq.conf

echo "domain-needed" >> $dnsmasq_conf

for entry in ${static//\</ } ; do
    fc=0
    h_mac=
    h_ip=
    h_name=
    for field in ${entry//\>/ } ; do
        case $fc in
            0) h_mac=$field;;
            1) h_ip=$field;;
            2) h_name=$field;;
        esac
        let 'fc += 1'
    done
    echo 'dhcp-host='${h_mac}','${h_ip}','${h_name}',infinite' >> $dnsmasq_conf
done

This went in /jffs/scripts/init-script and it should append the right stuff to the dnsmasq configuration. I'm in the process of trouble shooting the script. It seems to be running, but the dnsmasq.conf is not getting my changes from the script. The init-script is run very early in the boot process, so I image the dnsmasq.conf file is written after my script runs (as it has to be populated from NVRAM).

I like the code change you linked here, I've just been using this solution when using dnsmasq. It was mentioned on the DD-WRT wiki: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DNSMasq_Local_Network#3.29_Creating_static_leases