What's new

Problems connecting Chromecast to WRT1900AC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pete y testing

Very Senior Member
hi agin

while we are on the wrt1900AC lol

anyone tried running a chromecast and then running something usb 3 connected to the 1900AC

here as soon as i connect to usb3 with my tdk usb 3 mem stick the chromecast is booted of the 2.4 gig

hi agin

while we are on the wrt1900AC lol

anyone tried running a chromecast and then running something usb 3 connected to the 1900AC

here as soon as i connect to usb3 with my tdk usb 3 mem stick the chromecast is booted of the 2.4 gig

I will look into that. It could be that wlan\lan get reset upon drive detection.

I will look into that. It could be that wlan\lan get reset upon drive detection.

if that was the case the cromecast should reconnect , but it doesnt , it just stays in its setup state transmitting the chromecast ssid for setup

pete

if that was the case the cromecast should reconnect , but it doesnt , it just stays in its setup state transmitting the chromecast ssid for setup

pete

Wonder if this is more of a generic Chromecast issue - can you share more details - e.g. what app, device, etc? Looking over on xdadevelopers, there's some threads about similar behavior...

Since the Chromecast supports WiFi Direct, interacting with another device that also supports WiFi Direct (some Samsung Galaxy S devices, along with at least one of the newer Roku boxes, and...) - maybe the Chromecast is the problem?

It's worth scoping the router side, but even money on the Chromecast...

sfx

Wonder if this is more of a generic Chromecast issue - can you share more details - e.g. what app, device, etc? Looking over on xdadevelopers, there's some threads about similar behavior...

Since the Chromecast supports WiFi Direct, interacting with another device that also supports WiFi Direct (some Samsung Galaxy S devices, along with at least one of the newer Roku boxes, and...) - maybe the Chromecast is the problem?

It's worth scoping the router side, but even money on the Chromecast...

sfx

it seems to only effect the wrt1900ac , doing the same on ether the netgear r7000 and or the asus rt-ac68u does not make the chromecast fall off

im guess because the usb 3 ports on the other 2 routers are far away from their antenna arrays , whereas the 1900 ac is between the antennas

as i said when i plug the tdk mem stick in to the 1900AC the chromecast disconnects and if i disconnect the tdk it reconnects , i have tried 2 other usb 3 mem sticks with the same result

pete

im guess because the usb 3 ports on the other 2 routers are far away from their antenna arrays , whereas the 1900 ac is between the antennas

Actually, according to Tim's review, this doesn't appear to be the case, at least not for the AC68U. He encountered interference between the radios and the USB3 port.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...st-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u?start=1

You'll note that the ASUS doesn't do so well in this test. That's because I had to enable the Reducing USB 3.0 interference setting, which appears to slow the USB 3.0 port to USB 2.0 speeds. I tried multiple times to get the tests to run, but each time the router share would disconnect while copying the first 1 GB VOB file in the test folder. Maybe ASUS should put some shielding on the USB 3.0 connector...

Since the Chromecast is completely disconnecting, it's more likely an incompatibility issue rather than electrical interference of some sort.

I have 2 chromecasts and had no problems with them connecting to my WRT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it seems to only effect the wrt1900ac , doing the same on ether the netgear r7000 and or the asus rt-ac68u does not make the chromecast fall off

as i said when i plug the tdk mem stick in to the 1900AC the chromecast disconnects and if i disconnect the tdk it reconnects , i have tried 2 other usb 3 mem sticks with the same result

pete

Only on the USB3 port, right? How about the other USB port on the WRT?

Does this happen immediately, or a few seconds after the SMB/FTP/DLNA Media servers mount the drive?

Might be worthwhile to fire up Wireshark and grab some packet dumps...

Only on the USB3 port, right? How about the other USB port on the WRT?

Does this happen immediately, or a few seconds after the SMB/FTP/DLNA Media servers mount the drive?

Might be worthwhile to fire up Wireshark and grab some packet dumps...

Bumping this thread up...

@Pete - any updates here?