What's new

Problems with disk connected to RT-AC66U-B1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Neil Horowitz

Occasional Visitor
I have a Seagate 6 TB NTFS formatted hard drive connected to the USB 3 port on my RT-AC66U-B1 router running Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 firmware. If I ask the router to scan the disk, it always finds file system errors on the drive and advises me to connect the drive to a PC to repair the errors. I then connect the drive to a PC which always finds few if any issues and is done scanning the disk in a minute or so. If I then reconnect the drive to the router and have it scan the disk again, it again tells me that there are file system errors needing to be repaired by a PC, which again finds no problems on the drive. In addition to this issue, while the router is scanning the drive, it frequently gets up to 40% and seems to freeze for quite awhile. The box where the scan results are displayed eventually shows scanning progress in hundredths of a percent on each line, so there end up being thousands of lines created here for the scan results making it impossible to see the complete scan results. Getting the router to accept the drive after reconnecting it can be a problem frequently requiring the rebooting of the router. In addition to all of this, the built in auto scan option for connected hard drives does not save any entered configuration settings entered.
Has anyone else experienced problems like these with external drives and if so, will they be addressed in a later firmware version?

It's always done that with large NTFS drives. The router doesn't have enough memory to perform the scan, just ignore it.

Thank you Colin, it would be nice if there was a warning concerning this issue posted somewhere on the router’s webpages.

You could try adding a line of code telling it to ignore disk related errors using the admin section I believe... I'm still running the Asus-merlin version 380.59_0 on my RT-AC66U tho... adding lines of code that launch after boot is how I've got around lots of bugs/issues over the years and I'm currently going through a plan to update my firmware to the latest legacy firmware...

Adding a line of code can possibly cause problems but nothing a simple reset wouldn't fix if you mess up. It's been trial an error for me

i seem to be having the same problem with the stock FW
i just put a brand new4TB WD red drive in a 3.5 USB 3.0 enclosure and connected it
and i get errors every time , i put it back in the PC clean it and reformat it and same thing every time
also the NAS drive is visible in windows but not accessible at all
i really have no idea what i am doing and can not get this piece of crap to work at all
of course after 7 hours on the phone with asus neither could they, AI cloud also does not work either
anyone know how to set up the drive on stock FW?