What's new

Project for School

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mirskyc

New Around Here
Hi everyone. I've been visiting this website for almost a year now. I am currently a senior in college. My major in Mass Communications but I currently don't plan on perusing this path after I graduate. Instead I think I want to go into the telecommunications field. I have had a strong interest in the field after working for the Telecommunications department at my school for one semester. I have continued to fulfill my interests by building a small network in my house after Hurricane Sandy gave me access to the structure of my house.

I recently decide to join the forum section of this website because I need help for a class assignment. The assignment involves interview someone who has your dream job. I figure what better place to ask a few questions than SmallNetBuilders. I've compiled a list of 9 questions to ask. If anyone has the time to help me by answering them, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is your official job tittle and what is its description?

2. What steps did you take to enter your career path?

3. What education is required to have your position?

4. How involved is your boss in your everyday tasks or as a boss how involved are you in your employee’s tasks?

5. What does a typical day consist of for you?

6. Can you see yourself working at this job for the rest of your career?

7. How many people do you work along side?

8. What qualities/skills/talents do you think are needed for your job?

9. What is your favorite part of your job?

If, sir New Member, this poll is truly a legit course assignment (what University?), you'll need a means for private and anonymous responses. I don't think this forum has such.

I am a student at SUNY Oneonta, the class is COMM225: Organizational Communication. I was thinking the private message feature but if someone one wants to be more anonymous feel free to email me at mirskyc@gmail.com

I'll do it. I have two different roles, so I'll do both.

1. What is your official job tittle and what is its description?Financial Controller. Description isn't official, but it does involve everything that IT Manager would do.
2. What steps did you take to enter your career path?I do this for my parents' businesses, so being at the right place at the right time with the right solution. I did a heck of a lot of IT reading growing up through, studying about 6 inches of industry publications every day.
3. What education is required to have your position?Today, you will need to have quite a few certifications--MSCE, A+ and CCNA/NP to start. But what's most important is that you actually know how to solve the problems, much of which only comes with field experience.
4. How involved is your boss in your everyday tasks or as a boss how involved are you in your employee’s tasks?Very involved for most non-IT tasks. For IT-tasks, only for the budget, which is usually non-existent. Since IT touches every aspect of employees tasks, I'm completely involved, but not on an ongoing basis. When proper workflows are set up, the IT is just a part of the workflows and just happens. I get involved when things don't work as they should. And I spend a decent amount of that time fixing things before they know anything broke.
5. What does a typical day consist of for you?Checking all the VPN connections, backing up all the data to remote locations. Then I work on all the non-IT work.
6. Can you see yourself working at this job for the rest of your career?I hope not. I'm just doing this to help my parents out. I enjoy both the non-IT and IT work, but I'd have to get paid a decent amount to do this for a living.
7. How many people do you work along side?About 6 on an ongoing basis.
8. What qualities/skills/talents do you think are needed for your job?Problem solving, analytical thinking, reading and comprehension, a talent for electronics (some people just have this), thinking outside the box of IT into business workflow, understanding ROI from a business perspective, strong work ethic, being a self-starter and being able to follow through.
9. What is your favorite part of your job?When everything just works. You sit back and watch others' lives become better because work is easier and more productive for everyone--and more profitable too.

1. What is your official job tittle and what is its description?Founder/CEO. I do everything.
2. What steps did you take to enter your career path?I thought carefully about taking a hobby and turning it into a business. And then after a few events at work, I quit work and went to work building my dream.
3. What education is required to have your position?Web development, business management experience, understanding your customer base, programming experience, social skills, planning skills.
4. How involved is your boss in your everyday tasks or as a boss how involved are you in your employee’s tasks?I am my own boss and am my only employee, so I'm always involved, lol.
5. What does a typical day consist of for you?Checking email, interacting with customers and clients, creating/curating content, reading up on trends and planning for the future of the business.
6. Can you see yourself working at this job for the rest of your career?Yes! If I die doing this, I'll die happy.
7. How many people do you work along side?I don't directly work with anyone yet, but that's in the next incarnation of the business. But I do work closely work with other organizations--up to about 50 different people on a regular basis.
8. What qualities/skills/talents do you think are needed for your job?Social skills, business management skills, diplomacy, IT and technical skills to keep outsourcing costs down, organization, bookeeping knowledge.
9. What is your favorite part of your job?Meeting customers and clients. Hearing that our products is the apple of the customer's eye, and hearing from the client that their investment in us pays for itself immediately.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!