What's new

Punch Through Two Cinderblock Walls?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KCL

Occasional Visitor
My challenge:

We have two buildings in an office complex, separated by a wide alley -- say, 30-50 feet apart. I want to link the networks in the two buildings so they are the same network. Buildings are all cinderblock (except for the metal doors, of course).

The kicker is that the landlord expressly forbids us mounting anything external -- not on the walls or the roof. Is there a solution that we could mount internally in each building that would give us a reasonable signal?

Drop ceiling? Maybe up there?

You might be able to make it work with point-to-point wireless links, such as Ubiquiti's airMAX line. The pricier ones can span multiple-kilometer distances, so I think there'd be a reasonable shot at punching through two layers of cinder block. However, you will probably not get better than a couple hundred Mbps throughput --- is that adequate? (Ubiquiti does sell PtP gear with Gbps throughput, but it runs in the 60GHz band and will most likely not manage to get through your walls. I'd go for one of the models that runs in 2.4GHz to have the best chance of success. Plus, those are relatively low-cost, so you're not out much if it doesn't work.)

Ask your ISP to run a couple drops from their utility poles and link the two buildings. Will your landlord allow that ?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!