What's new

QNAP 559 Pro II rsync unusably slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lodester

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out why my new 559 P2 rsync jobs are stuck at around 10MB/sec. Some facts:
1) The two NAS's are on the same switch and negotiate to gigabit speeds.
2) There is no other activity on either NAS
3) The target (ix4-200d) is capable of far greater write throughput
4) Almost all the files are large(200+MB), solid archives. so this can't be explained by a lot of windowing in TCP to ramp up the throughput

I don't really know what to do. It is very difficult getting a hold of qnap support but I will try again today. Any tips on how to get qnap's attention are also welcome.

It sure looks like there is some kind of 100Mb throughput limitation but I just can't figure where it is coming from.

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I understand that there are multiple factors that determine throughput capacity for any given transfer - my point was it is clearly not the hardware holding things back.

a 75% reduction in capacity though is a pretty unacceptable software implementation. How can anyone use rsync if this is anything close to a normal result? I was hoping I could use a native nas-to-nas solution but I guess the low end market just isn't there yet.

What "cpu graph"?

All backup tests are run without encryption and compression.