What's new

QoS bandwith limiter doesnt work on DSL-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

denoo9

New Around Here
Can someone tell me why the heck is bandwith limiter (
QoS) only working on my primary computer
, but not on others, like mobile devices, and also not on my external wifi repeater connected thru ethernet cabel?
I tried DSL-AC68U new firmware and even merlin firmware and both wont work.

Attachments

• Bez názvulll.png
    Bez názvulll.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Just speculating.

As far as the mobile device, I know some will randomize the MAC address for privacy reasons (e.g., iOS). That's why I disable that feature, at least when I'm on my own private network.

As far as the repeater, that can get a bit tricky. Is the MAC address that of the repeater itself, or the device(s) connected behind it? If it's the former, then obviously it would only limit traffic sourced directly from the repeater itself. It would have NO effect on the clients using the repeater. Then again, some repeaters mask the actual client MAC address w/ that of the repeater's MAC address. That's why I say, the repeater can be a bit tricky depending on how it's implemented.

Just speculating.

As far as the mobile device, I know some will randomize the MAC address for privacy reasons (e.g., iOS). That's why I disable that feature, at least when I'm on my own private network.

As far as the repeater, that can get a bit tricky. Is the MAC address that of the repeater itself, or the device(s) connected behind it? If it's the former, then obviously it would only limit traffic sourced directly from the repeater itself. It would have NO effect on the clients using the repeater. Then again, some repeaters mask the actual client MAC address w/ that of the repeater's MAC address. That's why I say, the repeater can be a bit tricky depending on how it's implemented.
I managed to fix mobile devices by disabling NAT acceleration in router settings.
But the repeater still nothing, do you know any other option to make repeater slow? Even if buying other device, I have TP LINK RE500 but there is no speed regulation inside repeater settings.

I'm aware that QoS or any kind of bandwidth limiting are incompatible w/ NAT acceleration, but at least on my *non* DSL AC68U, under LAN->Switch Control, you have the option to set that feature to Auto or Disable. There's no Enable option because the router is *supposed* to detect the fact you enabled QoS or bandwidth limiting and *silently* disable NAT acceleration. That's why, although I suspected it could be the problem, I assumed it would be automatically disabled, and the problem lies elsewhere. Apparently that isn't always the case!

As far as the repeater, most QoS features only work across the WAN (i.e., in a routed configuration). But a typical repeater "bridge" (if that's what we're dealing with here) is a LAN to LAN connection, so QoS has no effect. What you would need is a "routeable" repeater (non bridged) that can act as a WISP router. The repeater would have its own IP network, DHCP server, firewall, etc., and possibly its own QoS options. You often see this w/ travel routers (e.g., Gl.iNet) because the intent is provide a secure network of your own behind another network you don't own/control/trust (e.g., AP from a hotel). The QoS features come along for the ride, so to speak. You can do the same w/ virtually any DD-WRT or FreshTomato compatible router as well.

I'm aware that QoS or any kind of bandwidth limiting are incompatible w/ NAT acceleration, but at least on my *non* DSL AC68U, under LAN->Switch Control, you have the option to set that feature to Auto or Disable. There's no Enable option because the router is *supposed* to detect the fact you enabled QoS or bandwidth limiting and *silently* disable NAT acceleration. That's why, although I suspected it could be the problem, I assumed it would be automatically disabled, and the problem lies elsewhere. Apparently that isn't always the case!

As far as the repeater, most QoS features only work across the WAN (i.e., in a routed configuration). But a typical repeater "bridge" (if that's what we're dealing with here) is a LAN to LAN connection, so QoS has no effect. What you would need is a "routeable" repeater (non bridged) that can act as a WISP router. The repeater would have its own IP network, DHCP server, firewall, etc., and possibly its own QoS options. You often see this w/ travel routers (e.g., Gl.iNet) because the intent is provide a secure network of your own behind another network you don't own/control/trust (e.g., AP from a hotel). The QoS features come along for the ride, so to speak. You can do the same w/ virtually any DD-WRT or FreshTomato compatible router as well.
Thanks for your advice