What's new

AdGuardHome querylog:decoding ipStr value: ParseAddr(""): unable to parse IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Khadanja

Just enabled logging in .yml and noticed these entries as soon as I click on Blocked malware/phishing or Blocked adult websites, syslog just fills with these entries but eventually the queries load. Have tried clearing querylog.json but no luck. Was trying to reoubleshiit why query loading is slow for anything apart from All queries & blocked. Could this log be the reason? Also raised an issue on Github regarding log file location not working when specifying path in yaml, could have just asked here I guess.
May 30 15:18:56 AdGuardHome[1578473]: 2024/05/30 15:18:56.092866 1578473#8139 [debug] querylog: decoding ipStr value: ParseAddr(""): unable to parse IP

Just enabled logging in .yml and noticed these entries as soon as I click on Blocked malware/phishing or Blocked adult websites, syslog just fills with these entries but eventually the queries load. Have tried clearing querylog.json but no luck. Was trying to reoubleshiit why query loading is slow for anything apart from All queries & blocked. Could this log be the reason? Also raised an issue on Github regarding log file location not working when specifying path in yaml, could have just asked here I guess.
May 30 15:18:56 AdGuardHome[1578473]: 2024/05/30 15:18:56.092866 1578473#8139 [debug] querylog: decoding ipStr value: ParseAddr(""): unable to parse IP
And your response is right here:

Thanks that worked but had to reboot router otherwise kept getting in syslog AdGuardHome failed to start in S99AdGuardHome. Why does router require rebooting & service restart_AdGuardHome doesn't work after making those changes to init.d/S99AdGuardHome? Also, what about these entries in log when I query the log from AgH gui?

Last edited:
Thanks that worked but had to reboot router otherwise kept getting in syslog AdGuardHome failed to start in S99AdGuardHome. Why does router require rebooting & service restart_AdGuardHome doesn't work after making those changes to init.d/S99AdGuardHome? Also, what about these entries in log when I query the log from AgH gui?
Oh, it is because adguardhome is still running from the previous command line arguements. In order for you have it run the new arguements you have to first run service stop_AdGuardHome and wait for it to completely stop, then run service start_AdGuardHome for it to start with fresh command line arguements.

As for the "logs" meanings, you should ask the developers. Adguardhome displays certain logs that should only be displayed in "debug" mode. This becomes apparent when your services appear to be running completely normal yet Adguardhome is filling the log with every "failed" query attempt. With that same logic they should also list all the successful ones. To truly understand those logs the adguardhome development team will probably want you to start an issue with them and submit your debug info. Before you do that, I suggest you check their issue tracker for other users who have the same log message, it is quite possible this is just a debug level log that should be hidden and otherwise displayed only for debugging purposes(e.g. numerous query load failures, or failure to parse an ip address format.) At the end of the day, those logs exist for you to submit debug information to the adguardhome development team, and for them to research, improve adguardhome when necessary, and help you identify miscondigurations in your existing setup - hence why the log is flagged with [debug]. The problem with debug messages are they could represent anything, or just could be there to help adguardhome itself to know how to treat certain situations that arise.

If I were to guess, your upstream server is returning nodata, or nxdomain for specific domains your adguardhome instance is querying about. In this instance, adguardhome might not be satisfied with a No-IPData response. So if you are using unbound as your upstream resolver, this may be the message you get when Unbound is blocking an attempt for adguardhome to request about a specific domain, or whatever upstream DNS service you are using filters their content is blocking your request for specific domains. The return of a NoIPData response from your dns upstream is not sitting right with adguardhome so it is creating a debug message (possibly for adguardhome to know how to present the query response in the Query Log itself).

For me, this is just a conjecture guess that you should research yourself, or have the Adguardhome development team help you determine.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!