What's new

Question About News Article about Droping WEP Support By 2014

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Network Freak 2009

Occasional Visitor
How will Legacy Devices that cannot upgrade to WPA connect to your Network then? :confused:

for instance the Original Nintendo DS and also some Nintendo DS Games only support WEP what are the options if my old Device (Router Or AP) Breaks and the New Router or AP do not support WEP? :confused:

I'd say that you would just have to set up an older router to use as a separate wireless AP for those devices to use to connect.

Byebye WEP: Good riddance to a false sense of security

Some routers with more than one radio let you set multiple networks, I imagine this feature will get more widespread.

A cheap basic 2.4 G AP is around $20 now as well.

You could always have a "legacy" network with no encryption out in the DMZ or VLANed and throttled or whatever for these devices. A lot of them (like the DS) just need internet access instead of your entire lan.

"Did he say no encryption?!"

WEP is effectively open now anyways:

Anyone with a laptop and a usb stick is about 3-5 clicks away from booting a linux image that has a tool which scans and busts every WEP network it sees at a rate of about 1-2 minutes per regardless of any extra "defenses" piled on top of the broken WEP. Its brainless now, practically zero skill required. It will probably end up in common aftermarket router distros and cellphones soon enough...anything that can inject packets.

Its either that or replace your old stuff when the current gen of routers all die off.