What's new

Question: Mixing 15 DBa and 6 DBa antennae make sense ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

busch09

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have a dumb question:

Does it makes any sense to mix a high gain 15 Dba and 2 6 DBA antennae ?
Eg put a high gain in the center and the regular ones left and right ?

I ordered 3 15 DBA on amazon but I think one is broken as I get terrible signal stregth with the is various locations. The 6 DBA provide a much higher signal.

best
busch09

The lower the antenna gain, the less sensitive the radiation pattern is vs. the antenna orientation.

Unless you bought antenna with proper spec sheets, I would think that all of them are 'broken' and not to be used when reliable signal strength is required.

The higher signal the 6DbA antenna provides may simply be because it is less directional.

As to mixing antenna, it is trial and error for your particular environment.

Personally, I would not be wasting my time on this and yes, I have, in the dark distant past of my wireless experiments.

I cant comment on the brand of the antennas you are using. But, if you search, there was a discussion about 6 month ago, some people had mixed results with Asus high gain antennas.