What's new

Question on RT-AC66U and EA-N66 range extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sse450

New Around Here
I set up EA-N66 as extender in a separate room to cover a larger area. It normally works without any problem.

But, there is a weird problem I could not solve.

If EA-N66 is not used for, say, 6-7 hours, then wireless clients can not reach to the internet through EA-N66.

When this problem happens:

- All the blue lights of EA-66U are up. So, it is supposed to be connected to RT-AC66U.
- Clients can connect to EA-N66.

Just no internet (RT-AC66U --> EA-N66 --> Client).

From this point on, the only cure is powering the EA-N66 off and back on. Then, everything works as expected.

Could someone shed any light on this?

Thanks.

Not sure if this will help, but, I have an RT-N66U (Latest Merlin Firmware always) to the EA-N66. I had issues with previous firmware on the EA-N66 like you described, but those for me were resolved with the 1.0.1.8h firmware for the EA-N66.

I never figured out what caused it, but the h firmware has been rock solid. There is a 1.0.1.8k version out now, but I just flashed my EA-N66 a few days ago, somehow I missed seeing there was an update, so I can't really comment on stability as of yet.

I had a hard time with this unit with the same problems that you had but now it works great. I was using Firmware version 1.0.1.8h. After completing the steps below, I still had this disconnection problem but only about once every couple of weeks. Today I updated to 1.0.1.8k. So far, so good. I'll post here in a few days if there are still problems or if it's solid after the FW update. I am using this in Access Point Mode.

Be sure to:
* Give this unit a separate SSID from your main router.

* Put this unit on a wireless channel that is open in your area. (There is a great free tool to help you in this regard. It's a program called inSSIDer HOME. Download it metageek.net. Go the the Downloads page and scroll to the bottom. Download the HOME version which is free. This tool will show all of the networks available in your area, what their SSID is, what channels they are on, and the strength of their signal. This is all great information to have when you set up the EA N66.)

* In the LAN Settings, Disable DHCP Override! This product wants to re-assign IP addresses to your devices if it ever looses a connection which can create IP address conflicts. Disabling DHCP Override will allow your router to assign the IP addresses to your devices.

* Give the EA N66 a STATIC IP ADDRESS! Do not let it get its IP address automatically. I would loose connection to this device every couple of hours until I gave it a Static IP Address. This seemed to solve all of the connection stability problems I was having.

These last two are very important.

***UPDATE***
Since I installed Firmware Version 1.0.1.8k, the EA N66r has dropped connections twice in the period of 4 hours. I'm back to 1.0.1.8h which seems more stable but not perfect.

Last edited: